I made a huge mistake and lost alot of money. I need your help.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess there isn't much help anyone can give you unless you drew up a contract with this guy for the sale. Even then I don't think there's a lot you can do besides check your coins better for errors and such.

OP
OP
tmjones550

tmjones550

Aug 16, 2011
I think he was trying to lie about it. There are some wierd people out there.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It is entirely possible. There are several 66 doubled die varieties. The main one is 1966 50¢ WDDO-022 that exhibits doubling on Kennedy's profile. They are found in SMS or SMS that have been released into the wild.

To the uninformed, it is just junk silver. Many just stack and don't bother to check. How many check their '64(s) for the tripled die?

For those with the knowledge, we have curtailed sharing our knowledge and trying to educate the group here. There really is no point when we are lambasted for calling cents and not a penny. But carry-on with stacking, and I hope your garden grows green. In this case the adage of "You reap what you sow", will never be truer.

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I traded 23.00 face 40% halves for a used tiller. The Guy I traded with said he found a 1966 sms double die error and sold it for 1500.00 and another error for 175.00. What are the chances in that? And is there a 1966 sms double die error? Is he shooting me some bull here. I got ripped.

I wouldn't even give it another thought, he's full of it. He's got issues. What could you do anyway
., but ask where he sold them and verify it. Just doesn't make sense to tell you something like that, even if it were true

OP
OP
tmjones550

tmjones550

Aug 16, 2011
I wouldn't even give it another thought, he's full of it. He's got issues. What could you do anyway
., but ask where he sold them and verify it. Just doesn't make sense to tell you something like that, even if it were true

Thanks you've made me feel better about it. I know about error coins. But you would think it would have to been almost uncirculated to bring that much anyway. All the ones I traded were in very circulated condition. Thanks

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And if it is real, what can you really do? You gave him those in an agreed upon deal, you got what you thought was fair out of them.

If you were a close friend, I'd return them/split the profit with you. But once they're gone, they're gone...

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Well you paid $23 for a tiller. That is a pretty good deal. I wouldn't worry about it and they are likely full of :censored:. If it bugs you to think you may have left something on the table then think of it as a lesson to check more closely. People have paid a lot higher tuition with collector coins.

Maine_Jim

OP
OP
tmjones550

tmjones550

Aug 16, 2011
Well you paid $23 for a tiller. That is a pretty good deal. I wouldn't worry about it and they are likely full of :censored:. If it bugs you to think you may have left something on the table then think of it as a lesson to check more closely. People have paid a lot higher tuition with collector coins.

Maine_Jim

Amen to that. Thanks hh.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I traded 23.00 face 40% halves for a used tiller. The Guy I traded with said he found a 1966 sms double die error and sold it for 1500.00 and another error for 175.00. What are the chances in that? And is there a 1966 sms double die error? Is he shooting me some bull here. I got ripped.

Whether he found that error or not, either way you did not get ripped. You sold the coins for what you wanted, and if he found somethin gyou missed, oh well. they were HIS coins at that time, so he could do as he pleases. We all buy coins from the teller tills for face value even though they are worth more, and we know it when we buy them.. Does that mean the teller was ripped? Of course not. A nd if a person was dumping silver right in front of you at a bank, and you told them you would buy them for face, or 5 times face, or whatever, and then you sold them for more, is that ripping them? No. they wanted to sell it at that price, you took it, and you made a profit on it. If he sold your coins for a profit, good for him. And good for you TOO, as you got a tiller for $23. But if you missed an error, oh well. Your loss yes, but nothing about it says you were ripped. Agreed?

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you are only interested in the silver and potentially missed a valuable error...and you're mad at HIM? It looks like you want us all to hug you.

I cringe thinking about all the rare coins and pieces of history that slip away into the melt bins and stashes, never to be seen again. I think it would have done you, and others, a bit of good to do a little looking. If you're in it for the silver that's one thing, but please think twice about all those coins, the information is usually only limited by your fingertips searching for it...

I for one would offer you a good value of silver for a more collectible coin, just think of the stack you could have if you found a rare coin and traded it for PMs...

Last edited by a moderator:

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
He's fooling you, probably is regretting getting rid of his tiller..........hoping you change your mind, and he will pay you cash back for it. don't give him the tiller back, and why would you talk to this low-life, if he would go so far as to brag he sold one of the 40%'rs for that much? if he is a homie/friend of yours, ensure you terminate the friendship and cut off all forms of contact.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I know if I got some 40 percentas in a trade, and one was worth that much, I sure would keep my mouth absolutely quite. the fact that he didnt, well speaks for itself.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This just shows what I have I have spoke about in the past. CRH is more than silver. Those of us in the know can make more off varieties than the silver we find. Oh by the way, it's "doubled " not double die.
HH
enamel7

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
He is having fun at your expense. Regardless - you wanted the tiller and you got what you wanted tmjones550! Heck, tell him that a stranger stopped by and said his Dad had a tiller just like that and always wanted another one. He offered you $2100 cash - and you took it!
killingme.gif

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
were you bragging to him or some one , that you got a Tiller for $23.00 ?

If you were,

(or if he at least thought you would,)

My guess he was getting even :laughing7:

the odds may have been in his favor of pulling it off, if he said he found 1
but 2 ?
:tongue3:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread