I made the worst decision today! Can collecting be a sickness?

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Hey guys its bee a while ever since I've been on treasure net but I seriously need help. If you are unaware I am 15 and I love metal detecting and antique collecting. Since I live with my folks I can't buy everything. Well yesterday I went to a auction and I won a lot of items. However I bid on a item my folks specifically requested I don't. I went over the last bid by 1$. I won a antique scale like one that is in grocery stores. I love this hobby but I'm in deep trouble already and it can be a sickness. I don't know if this is considered ok I know I'm not a charter member but I will show a picture in a few hours and then a eBay listing sometime today. If mods have to take down the post I understand but I really need to get rid of this and I'm in a time of need. damage is done and the faster I get rid of this the better. Tresurenet has always been there in my time of need and I need it again now so please i will take anything I just need it out of the house. I love this hobby but It can be a sickness. I'm already sort of a hoarder with and without my antiques and its a sickness i have. I really need your guys help. Thank you for helping in my time of need. Any offer I can get that covers shipping I will truly take. Thanks
Jolteon

Patriots

Jul 16, 2015
Northern California
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jolteon, not owning your own property, you have respect the wishes and confines of your parents home. I can relate by the way, I was a collector of sorts at your age. I was fascinated by old books and still have one from the 1600's. The phase passed when my room was full but I still feel a connection to the objects that you can tell have a story behind them. You just have to know when to say no and walk away...Not say no and make an offer. I would recommend watching the show Hoarding....You don't want to end up like them. Good Luck with your sale.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a tough one trying to fill the passion and having the restrictions that go along with it. Patriots comment on you not owning the property and living under the roof of somebody else has to be respected is right. This even goes for when you get your own place and even if it's a rental you'll still have live within the rules of the lessor, so it's always a compromise it seems, simple as that. Until you own your own space or you can rent a storage space that you can store/hoard items this will be one of your biggest hurtles.
There's nothing wrong with having the urge to buy & sell, detect, at your age and I'd say it's healthy instead of sickness and that has to be stressed when trying to reach a compromise with your parents, but being respectful of their expectations of you. I'm saying all this with no knowledge of what that might be, if they have painted the picture of clean nails on an Ivy League young man, book under arm, doing only what a polished young men should be doing, and you're in the league of getting dirty, scourging around in the soils, auctions, old dumps well you have your work cut out for you.
I'm really of the opinion that if a young person has a honest passion no matter what it is, it's a hell of a lot better than running the streets getting into mischief, to which boredom is the roots for many problems.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good morning Jolteon.... Yea, I have to echo Patriots first sentence above. If you didn't really have the money or space then you should have thought a little more. But ya did buy it.... so now what? Your right you can't sell here openly. Clean it up, post some good pics and if anybody is interested maybe you'll get a PM concerning it. Do some good research on its true value and hopefully you can recover your investment or maybe even end up with a buck or two. Best wishes buddy..... Brad

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well that's almost as bad as tearing a bed apart for an empty jewelry box. :wink: Seriously though, if that's the worst thing you do then your parents should consider themselves lucky. On the other hand........ don't push your luck.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Jolt - Though raising your hand on that final bid is NOT a sickness - it was your choice. Going to the auction was your choice again. Joining TN was your choice. Writing this thread was your choice.
It's all up to YOU - Make better choices in the future, pulling for you dude!!!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say collecting is a sickness .. I have never been a collector and will never be one ...... And after watching a few of the hoarding shows on TV i am glad i never got into collecting .. I never could figure out what the thrill of having a item put up or away and look at now and then is ... Myself if i find something that i know someone will buy it goes in the shed out back until i get my money then i am rid of it..If it is something no one will buy it goes to a thrift store or into a scrap pile.... But then i am what my wife call's a neat freak..

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Old scale sounds neat. I had one decades ago while in my late teens. Used in for weight in the winter for traction in a car a while even. Was not living at home though...
Choices and decisions.
In time they will all be on you.
Meanwhile ,yes your folks affect them.
The scale will sell. A big number of people buy and sell everyday.
We don't know what you will be doing down the road as you/we age. Experience in antiques not the worst thing.
It is a challenge though when selling things you have a passion for...you kinda want to keep them.
A gamble of sorts buying and selling even with things the person buying specializes in,but doable .
Auctions can get to tugging on a persons competitiveness, and wallet.
Your parents disapproval ,whether you agree with it or not matters. You are still under house rules.
Find the compromise and keep the peace. You'll need that skill later in life too.
Fifteen is not a real young age as far as your abilities as you show in your writing. Keep a window of dialog open with your folks even when it is not easy and work it out together before it gets a chance to worsen.
Budget and spend a portion only of discretionary funds to acquire goods, or come up short when a real deal pops up.

I think you are mature enough to bail yourself out. Accountability for your actions. While your folks are responsible for part of your actions, who is really in charge of YOU?.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Old scale sounds neat. I had one decades ago while in my late teens. Used in for weight in the winter for traction in a car a while even. Was not living at home though...
Choices and decisions.
In time they will all be on you.
Meanwhile ,yes your folks affect them.
The scale will sell. A big number of people buy and sell everyday.
We don't know what you will be doing down the road as you/we age. Experience in antiques not the worst thing.
It is a challenge though when selling things you have a passion for...you kinda want to keep them.
A gamble of sorts buying and selling even with things the person buying specializes in,but doable .
Auctions can get to tugging on a persons competitiveness, and wallet.
Your parents disapproval ,whether you agree with it or not matters. You are still under house rules.
Find the compromise and keep the peace. You'll need that skill later in life too.
Fifteen is not a real young age as far as your abilities as you show in your writing. Keep a window of dialog open with your folks even when it is not easy and work it out together before it gets a chance to worsen.
Budget and spend a portion only of discretionary funds to acquire goods, or come up short when a real deal pops up.

I think you are mature enough to bail yourself out. Accountability for your actions. While your folks are responsible for part of your actions, who is really in charge of YOU?.

You gotta point thanks guys if anyone it is resolved I have to get rid of it by there is no real rush here is a few picture for you guys

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440348774.616056.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440348788.882323.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440348799.995689.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440348810.200259.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440348820.281080.jpg

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The secret to collecting is to only keep the things that really are your passion.Its fine to buy something if you know you can make some bucks on the side reselling it.Fill you space with your passion,not stuff to just resell.If you feel something you bought will raise in price through the years,hang on to it for a while.If you need the money now sell it.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been a hoarder of sorts forever, but when i was a kid i managed to infect my father with the disease and thus managed to get away with it! :laughing7: Granted, I did tend to hoard high quality stuff worth considerably more than I paid so it wasn't a terribly hard sell.

You might want to try craigslist for selling that scale, packaging and shipping that to an eBay buyer would be obnoxious.

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
How much does it weigh (i.e., what is the shipping cost)? If it is very heavy, might it be better worth the while to scrap it?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you back on jolteon ! If that's the worst decision you've made , no worries mate !!! I want you to get back out and
locate another cache .

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Admit your wrongdoing to your folks and accept the consequences.
It will be difficult.
GL
Peace ✌

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Answering the a few questions. Right now we are gonna keep it for 1-2 weeks to find out more information about it.

It would not be a good idea and in fact you have a point I am not selling it online because I can't even carry it. It ways at least 300 pounds.

But yeah the tension is gone everything is back to normal but I would like to know what it is worth so I can try to sell it. Here is the information

It is a Toledo Model 571By Scale (I could find no information online) there was pictures above I only paid 91$ for it any information would be great thx guys

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Prices are all over on E-Bay..your model not listed among any for sale but one from similar era(?) is missing a piece of glass,maybe yours is too.
Until you find better info on them you could start at two hundred dollars,maybe. You did not indicate if it works.
Hobart had a real good reputation.

Vintage Antique 1906 Toledo Electric Computing Brass Copper Scale Style 381 D | eBay

If you have an antique store in your area they might sell it on consignment.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Yeah mine is working perfectly the only missing part is one of the 4 small rubber pieces underneath the glass

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like smoking, drinking , etc. it can be a sickness if that is what you want to blame it on :laughing7:

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Yeah mine is working perfectly the only missing part is one of the 4 small rubber pieces underneath the glass

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some slight hoarding problems a while ago. Until I figured out There was no use for the stuff I had. I still collect things but my collection is part of the decor of my house, no glass cases here. If I buy something and i cant find a place for it then it has to go, or I swap something out of my collection. I usually end up making money off everything I buy and sell, I buy cheap and sell mid price to make it fast.
Theres no point in buying something and hoarding it, the only reason people do that is for monetary value and becuase people are to lazy and dont care to throw things away due to depression and mental illness. And monetary value is fake, if you hoard antiques for years the price may only go up a dollar and you wasted all that space for so long. I dont know about peoples passion for things. I have a passion for exploration but not a passion for objects. The reason I collect is for the coolness value.

Sell it on ebay how much did you pay? Thats a pretty sweet scale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions