Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm very green at this point and melted down some gold and it has black in it and I'm not sure why. Can anybody help me out on this?
6da20835d38be9f3ba0365cff256f00c.jpg
1ce8e57a45124a0ba561363c28e80273.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Impurities. Unless you know what they are, they can be tough to remove. You'll essentially need to dissolve the impurities, but leave the gold. If this is simply carbon from the smelting, my understanding is that the old-style dry cleaning fluid - CCl4 Carbon Tetrachloride can remove it... But that stuff is nasty, and extremely hard to get a hold of.

Other folks have had some success with industrial strength toilet bowl cleaner... It won't harm the gold, but it won't be shiny when you're done.

Have you tried polishing it away? Wrap a drill bit in cloth, and use some polish on it. Then turn on the drill and slowly work the gold button around on it. That might take it off.

Best of luck to you.

Skippy

Thanks Skippy

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Might I ask why you melted your gold? Also, what was the original form prior to melting?

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You just lost money. You will have to pay an assayer to test for purity before you sell it (if that is your intent).

Did you use a crucible or just torch it?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I melted a wedding ring given to me by my X. Wanted to make it look like a nugget by melting and dumping it in ice water. Had no real idea to what I was doing, so melted it in the same pot I melted lead to cast bullets. The pot had some rust in it, and the rust turned the gold pink. My suggestion is if you have never done it, look into the proper way, because I didn't know what I was doing, and ruined some gold for what I was trying to do with it.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for doing this! Because of your results, maybe I'll just keep mine in the native form!

However, I have certainly considered reclaiming gold from electronics! Maybe someday....

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I melted a wedding ring given to me by my X. Wanted to make it look like a nugget by melting and dumping it in ice water. Had no real idea to what I was doing, so melted it in the same pot I melted lead to cast bullets. The pot had some rust in it, and the rust turned the gold pink. My suggestion is if you have never done it, look into the proper way, because I didn't know what I was doing, and ruined some gold for what I was trying to do with it.

Well I looked at a couple of videos on YouTube it didn't look like it was rocket science. I hope I didn't ruin it it's 18 karat

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You just lost money. You will have to pay an assayer to test for purity before you sell it (if that is your intent).

Did you use a crucible or just torch it?

I used the crucible with a mini furnace

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nahhh.. you didn't ruin anything. If you ever want to sell it, just send it to ARA gold in Texas. The refinery pays 98% of spot (after refining). No assay required. They'll just dissolve it and then send you a check. :)

Cheers,

Skippy

You're a good man Skippy. Thanks for keeping it positive. Good info

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
A real man never reads instructions, never looks at a road map, and never, never, listens to his wife!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold is gold! Melted or not it is the same metal. Sounds like a fun project to do. You would lose the same amount of money selling it to the assayer as you would if it was in jewelry form. That is, if you are planning on making it into 24k gold.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold is gold! Melted or not it is the same metal. Sounds like a fun project to do. You would lose the same amount of money selling it to the assayer as you would if it was in jewelry form. That is, if you are planning on making it into 24k gold.

You now people commented on the "why's" and "what for", as I saw it as why not I love fire and I love gold. It was destined to happen.

PioneerPauly

Mar 28, 2010
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug II
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello!

I have a question of my own but I can't find where to start a new thread..

I have a jar of gold plated items from electronic parts (no circuit boards), and jewelry, and I have another jar of 10k, 14k, and perhaps finer jewelry.

I want to know if its safe to mix the two to melt into 'shot' for refining, or if I should keep seperate..

I am planning on refining the 'shot' to .999 or .9999 pure.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I not the right person to ask. I'm pretty new to this. I was told not to mix. Learn all the tips to pouring, heat and grease the mold right before the pour. I didn't and the gold chunked up when hitting the unheated mold. Good luck and God bless.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread