I might have a chance to take a peak into the vault

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Today when I was picking up nickels, the manager came over to me, and said that if you come back tomorrow, we'll show you the inside of the vault. I'm pretty excited, but it's probably not going to be like the movies where the valult is stuffed with bills and coins :laughing7:. I except it to be pretty small, and only house a moderate amount of money. I think she is showing me the vault because she's trying to (not directly) tell me that I should stop going to their bank because their vault space is limited. Well, I tell you all how it turns out.

P.S. Can anyone who has been in a bank vault tell me what it looked like, and what it was like for you?

HH.

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
You aren't missing much. Some of the old banks built in the 20's and 30's have dramatic vaults, but they are mainly for show. The one bank that I go to for my pickup is the busiest branch in the area. They receive a delivery everyday. So consequently, they only need to keep enough on hand to cover the day's transactions (plus some). Each teller has a knee safe where a small amount of cash and coin is kept so as not to delay transactions tracking down the head teller to get "more quarters, etc.". The drive-thru has the same accommodation. The rest is stored in their "vault". The vault is actually just a very large safe (6' tall x 4' wide x 3' deep). It is kept in an unassuming room that is no bigger than a walk-in closet. The actual visible vault just holds safety deposit boxes.

Now, not all places are the same as another branch in the same town has this same set-up, but their safe can't handle the overflow of coin. They have this stacked in the corner of the visible vault that is always locked. They must have gotten a great deal from brinks (fees waived?) when they opened (5years ago). They still have cents and dimes from the original delivery stacked off to the side.

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go in the vault every visit to my bank...

basically because the tellers are all women and will not carry the heavy boxes of coins out for me :0)

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I go in the vault every visit to my bank...

I once got to visit an armored car company (I was buying two bags of big dollars) and the guy in charge showed me around. There was a big indoor loding bay where the trucks drove in and loaded/unloaded. In one corner he pointed out the Bank of America vault.

It was a small room made only of chainlink fence with a chainlink door. Looked like a couple of skids inside with tarps on top. :laughing7: ;D :D :wink:

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GlassyEyed said:
basically because the tellers are all women and will not carry the heavy boxes of coins out for me :0)

One of the banks I go to lets me get my boxes out of their vault myself for that very reason. One of the girls comes in with me.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I carry my own bags/boxes into the vault of one of my CU's (when the manager isn't around). Its a small room, and the safe is the size of a refrigerator. ffd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions