I might have made a mistake

motto motto

Greenie
Mar 25, 2009
I asked the teller if she had any large dollar coins and she said that someone had just turned in 40. I thought that I might have hit the jackpot until whe showed them to me. She had 40 Ikes. Did I make a mistake by leaving them at the bank? I don't have the capitol to just purchase coins and hold on to them if I can't turn a profit on.

SO! Did I make a mistake?!?

Upvote 0

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
It don't cost nothin to exchange their money for your money. Always a chance you may find a silver. I get them whenever I can just because they are fun to have and use. It always confuses the workers at fastfood joints when you pay with them. Great gifts for children too.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Yes you made a mistake.

Never pass on anything. you can always spend them. It is actually entertaining to see the reaction of kids a fast food joints when you spend them or anywhere for that matter, as noted above.

Mojo

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you wanted the trouble, you could have turned them. I've heard coin shops will buy them for $1.30....here is an ebay auction were they are selling for about $2.00 each http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-25-Coins-Eisenhower-IKE-Dollars-0-silver-25_W0QQitemZ250432753805QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item3a4ef4908d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

HH
-GC

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
You could have just returned them to another bank if they were rejects, just like you would with dimes, halves, etc.

To be successful in this you are gonna need a bigger bankroll than 40 bucks though. Volume is the key, except for the few lucky scores you might find here and there in customer rolls and such.

Jim

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
In my opinion you should always buy when a teller offers you coin. For example, If I go into a bank and ask if they have half dollars and the teller says I have 3 dollars worth and I can see they are not silver I buy them anyway. Why? It makes them more willing to show the goods in the future if they know you are willing to take them off their hands. Many tellers hate counting the odd ball money that comes in. What I am saying is that I would have bought the dollar coins.

Golden Silver

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
40 bucks is 40 bucks --take the coins --tellers often hate to have to count and handle these odd ball type coins --- some might be from proof sets :wink: there just as spendible as "regular" paper money --so your never "out" anything.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldencoin said:
If you wanted the trouble, you could have turned them. I've heard coin shops will buy them for $1.30....here is an ebay auction were they are selling for about $2.00 each
I once had over $1000 in IKES and called more than 20 local coin stores. No one even wanted to pay face on them.

I tied selling some on feebay and took a loss after all those fees. I even offered as close to BU as possible and no duplicates. >:(

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
cyberdan said:
goldencoin said:
If you wanted the trouble, you could have turned them. I've heard coin shops will buy them for $1.30....here is an ebay auction were they are selling for about $2.00 each
I once had over $1000 in IKES and called more than 20 local coin stores. No one even wanted to pay face on them.

I tied selling some on feebay and took a loss after all those fees. I even offered as close to BU as possible and no duplicates. >:(

Why didn't you take them to a bank to cash in? You could have dumped a hundred here, hundred there.

The local coin stores I frequent will buy them at face, but will not pay a premium.

Jim

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
Does anyone remember someone on here finding some Ikes awhile back. I think they bought a bag and they were a certain year (not silver), but sold them and made a killing. Anyone else remember this?

how u do n

Dec 21, 2008
in my own little world :)
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Minlab E-Trac Garrett Pinpointer
I "always" buy any coin they offer me and. just dump them next time.
I even buy all of their dirty junk coins they alway love it.
keep them happy :)
hh gl dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread