I need a marble guy

redfish76

Sep 12, 2010
Florida
Hey all
I got a small lot of marbles for $3.00 I am not going to lie but I know nothing about marbles, any help with id would be great...
I honestly don't think they are worth anything and maybe the kids would like to play with them..
Thanks for looking
100_5343_zps24a90780.jpg

100_5338_zps263d9aa2.jpg

100_5337_zps525cdc12.jpg

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
those are all asian marbles....new but maybe some retired ones in the lot....pick out the purty ones and let the kids learn to play...its a great pasttime and non electronic....theres rules for games on the internet and , there is a national champion crowned each year with schlorships and great prizes awarded....first rule...keep your knuckles down....tyhere might be a marbles shooting club in your area......

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of our club members did a really good presentation on old marbles a few months back. The really old ones (not machine made ones) were made from blown glass and should have small bubbles visible inside the marble. They also would have a "pontil" mark from when they were cut from the glass cane. I do not want to post his entire presentation without his consent, however here are some links he listed as his reference.

How to Identify Antique Marbles | eHow.com
Land Of Marbles
ALL ABOUT MARBLES - Your online resource for collecting marbles
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/marbles/218489-marble-collecting.html
Antique Glass Marbles - Collector Information | Collectors Weekly
MarblesGalore.com - Vintage Marbles and Marble Collecting Resources
Marble Connection

OP
OP
redfish76

redfish76

Sep 12, 2010
Florida
Thanks for the link.. on some of the marbles have marks kind of like they were hand blown and broken off..

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
marbles are not hand blown..they are taken from a glory hole and rolled but its if they were blown they would be hollow...they do have pontils some many different kinds..crease..point pontil rough pontil polished pontils...etc...theres just about as many presentations as there are collectors...aboiut everyone would have different takes....i would not take one collectors revelations as gospel as many ideas have been discredited and some things are downright impossible...marble collecting has elvolved in the last 20 years ive been in it....and when i first started i can think of many,many ,theories that have been didproved...

Last edited:
OP
OP
redfish76

redfish76

Sep 12, 2010
Florida
Thanks again Duffy .... I thought blown glass was wrong after I posted it because they are solid ..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread