I need a metal detector ... which should I buy?

Newbee

Oct 3, 2005
I'm in need of a metal detector to locate some pretty obvious items on my property - property stake, buried electrical line, etc. Now while just about anything on the market would probably meet this need, as long as I'm going to purchase a metal detector anyway, I figured I might as well give "detecting" a try. I've always had an interest in the hobby, but just never gave it a try before.

So, my question for all of you who have gone down this path before me is ... Which/What should I be purchasing? What I am looking for is a good introductory type detector so I can give this a try and see if it's for me. Now I have read through some of the postings on the site and from learned that a good place to start my search would be a web site like Kelly Co. So I went there and I got to tell you .... for someone new to this, it's a bit overwhelming. They have to have twenty different mfr. listed and a hundred or so units to choose from ... so if you were me (and not certain if this is for you or not) which detectors would you recommend I look at?

As you know, they appear to range in price from $100 up to $500+. Obviously I don't want to jump in at the high end, but then again if I purchase cheap I may never find anything and toss the hobby without giving it a fair shot. So any recommendations?

And last ... I have also read that your best bet is to visit a retailer who's "in the know". My problem is that I live in the middle of nowhere with the nearest retailer being about 100 miles away. Now with that said, we do have a WalMart selling Bounty Hunter models ... but I wouldn't call them "in the know".

So there's my story ... any suggestions offered will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Newbee

Upvote 0

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
I have never heard a bad word said about the Garrett ACE 250. They run about 200 bucks anywhere you look. I have no personal experience with this model though. Check out the detector reviews one forum down from this one. ;)

BEWARE!!!! This is an addictive hobby!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Welcome to the habit!

Mr. Morbid

Sep 9, 2005
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I also reccomend the Garrett Ace 250 not because I own one which I do but because it has a lot to offer for an entery level machine... It has some features found on higher priced detectors not usually found on entery level detectors... Its very easy and simple to use dosn't take rocket science to know how to run it... Check out my post about Clevenger Detector Sales they have great service and include some freebies with the Ace 250 and have fast shipping AND you can pay for the detector on COD...

Chester Copper Pot

Apr 16, 2005
WI
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro
Check out the "Sorely disappointed" post. Then find a Whites dealer and jump in somewhere around $400. Spending $200 on your first detector is fine if you're a kid. My preference was to head half way to the Cadillac(DFX) with my IDX pro. Also check out metaldetectorreviews.net.

C

cm5838

my first real detector was a whites xlt, and i love it, it was pretty easy to use from the start. They are spendy, but i see used ones go for between 400 and 500 on ebay all the time.
Charles

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
My Whites dealer highly recommends the 250 Ace for the price. He hunts with a lot of very experienced detectorist that are continually bragging about this cheap detector they got for their wives or kids and they end up using it a lot also. FWIW.

You might be supprised at all the mom and pop dealers spread out everywhere. Go to Whites and do a dealer search via your zip code. Many of the dealers are also garrets, fisher, tesoro dealers also. You could talk to them and probably borrow or rent one with a deposit. They can often times locate used detectors to get you up in the game for half the price of a newer model.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
What is missing from your question is actually what will you be looking for and what section of the country you are located in. For example you mentioned you are 100 miles from nowhere so I expect you will not be going down to the local park to detect for modern clad and jewelry droppings. If you plan on detecting old colonial home sites or Civil War sites you would need a relic detector with depth and not a quality low end detector like the Ace 250 which is for coins and jewelry at the local park.

Also your personal preferences are important. Do you want a turn on and go machine or are you willing to have a learning curve? Be advised that there are some quality machines which are not in the Kellyco catalog like Tesoro's Cibola and Vaquero which are deep relic machines at mid range prices. Also you do not need to buy new. There are a lot of metal detecting forums which have dealer classifieds which sell used detectors. A chance to own a high end or mid range detector from a dealer at a substantial savings. I bought my last high end VLF used about 2 years ago from a dealer and today they are selling for roughly $50 less than what I paid for it.

Good luck
George

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
like bakergeol said,it depends on what you plan to look for and how much you want to spend. the ace 250 is unbeatable in its $200 price range if you are interested in coinshooting/jewelry hunting and dont require extreme depth.there honestly is not another machine in this price range that beats it in my opinion.for relics you may consider spending a bit more and getting something designed more for relics like the whites mxt.it all kind of depends on what you want to hunt for,and how you will need to hunt for it.

OP
OP
N

Newbee

Oct 3, 2005
Thanks for all of the excellent suggestions.

I'm located in Northern Wisconsin just South of the Michigan UP state line and in addition to attempting to locate some property markers (steel pipes buried just below the surface) and from time to time electical/telephone lines - I'll probably get started by searching for coins/jewelry in some of the more common tourist areas - campgrounds, state parks, national forest trails, etc. From the sounds of it, the Ace 250 would probably get me going in the right direction and give me a shot at trying this hobby before making a major $$$ committment. Now with that said, I definitely will check out the used units that may be available and also do the search by zip code which someone suggested to determine just where my nearest dealer actually is.

So thanks again for all of your help and hopefully the next time you hear from it it will be my message telling you that I purchased a detector and have already found J.D. Cooper's millions ;) .

Newbee

mgdigger

Jan 31, 2004
Los Osos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 and ACE 250
the ACE 250 would be and excellent first detector. I you get into the hobby real serious then you can upgrade to a more expense model. I have three detectors ranging from 800 to 200 dollars. I use the 200 dollar Ace the most.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
het newbie be carefull with that new ace at state parks. most are off limits and you could have it confiscated! check with the park office first. ;)

S

skydiv

I use the ace 250, and the bounty hunter lonestar both are reliable. I went H.S. in bessemer mi. 1965, just where are you, email me if you like.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread