I need a new strategy

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
SO.... I went to the bank today that I get some halfs from usually 2000 a week. I got $1000 yesterday I got a one 40% and one 96 proof. I went back today and got another $1000 skunk! I was talking to them about bags and they said they had a bag of halves. I said AAAA Bag??? DO you not have many people dropping off halfs here? She said no. Well anyway to make a long story short I got the halfs that I marked a few weeks ago. probably 100 of them or so... probably more. I saw a few other that were familiar like a distressed 2004. So im sure 99% of them I had at one point. SO.... that got me thinking. Apparently the guy who is buying the bags from my dump bank is dropping them off at my half supply bank! So what do you think I should do!? Change dump banks? try to get them to order halves for me again and go though all the coins that I brought back possibly? the reason I made them my dump banks was because some of them have been pains in the ass... or ..... (the sinister approach) Have them hold the bags at my supply bank and drop them off at my dump bank? THAT would really frustrate the guy... maybe he would stop then or get smart and figure he better start doing something diffrent. Either way.... its not helping either of us out.

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think it is possible to find out who this guy is...contact him and try to work together to become more effiecient so your not searching his or your past dumps & same for him?

Just a thought.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
I don't get the problem. I think it could be solved in 3 weeks. Increase order size from supply bank. Increase dump
size to dump bank.

He will move on if he is doing 3 skunk bags a week. If not the dump bank must have a lot of people dumping 40 and 90%er's.

I assume that you get bags only and no boxes?

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
I have dumped over $30,000 there in the last few months....... if that dont deter the guy I dont know what will. Ordering more will just piss off my supply banks more. I thought about trying to contact him.... But I am unsure that the tellers would be as cooperative. I mean he takes their halfs to a diffrent bank so they can deal with them. What more can you ask for? The other bank I got the Bag from told me they dont get many people returning halfs in any quanity.... and what do I get?? a bag full of my own marked ones I dropped off at the other bank. So that says to me they dont want to say much because they dont want to deal with returning them. The tellers told me that a guy was buying their bags to go through even though they knew I dropped off searched ones there......apparently he doesnt get the tip. Are you following? The banks are seeming to get pretty cutthroat about it over here..... its not like hopping in the old pickup and going into town to see aunt May who works at the First National with one drive up window. My best bet is if I happen to cross paths with him. But if he or she is like alot of these other coin roll hunters they are probably pretty parinoid and secretive about it.

I think this area is moderatly searched by a few people. So the bank tellers are a little uneasy about it. They Will usually give the coin because they dont want to piss anyone off.... but they dont really like it. One bank told me they were out of coins!!!!! I just said... hmm.. thats strange. And this is a bank that I deal with for financial things and such. The bad thing is I had found stuff there in the past. It doenst really matter how nice you are to them either..... if they got 5 or more people asking for boxes of coins to search I think they get a little annoyed.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
I think you are just going through a slow period. It will turn around it always does. Does your dump bank use the same carrier as the supply bank? If they use different carriers then you did the right thing by moving his dump to your dump. If they are the same carrier then I would try to find another supply bank serviced by a different carrier since the current carrier is getting more than enough returns to not require a shipment from the Feds. How many of your marked coins come back in boxes? It sounds like your marked coins came back in a bag that you bought (saved the bank from having to ship it out). When I mark coins in this area it can take a few months before I see it in a box again.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can try to get in touch with him by marking some of your coins.

CRH? call me 555-1212

If he/she knows what that means he/she may call. Or you may get crank calls for the life of that coin. :-\

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
lejeuene said:
Do you think it is possible to find out who this guy is...contact him and try to work together to become more effiecient so your not searching his or your past dumps & same for him?

I think LJ's advice here is still your best bet.

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
cyberdan said:
You can try to get in touch with him by marking some of your coins.

CRH? call me 555-1212

If he/she knows what that means he/she may call. Or you may get crank calls for the life of that coin. :-\

I had thought about that... or even putting a message on them. like "these are searched" "dont dump at blackhawk" or the number thing......

But like I was saying I dont think the tellers would tell me when he comes in.....it would have to be a random thing.

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
bigtime, sorry to hear all this, but Im in the same boat you are !!!!!!!!

Everything was going just fine, then something changed drastically. I
havent had a box with more than 3 keepers in probably 10+ boxes. Most
skunks.

Today, was the first order that I had doubled up on, so 4 Boxes came today,
and I did all 4 just a little while ago. ZERO keepers. Z-E-R-O, zip , zilch,
nada.

Im beside myself here, not sure what to do. My current order bank has no problems
with me bringing ANY amount there, ever. They have repeatedly told me it is
A-OK should I change my system. Ive never dumped there, but have the choice to. Im
considering shopping around, placing orders elsewhere and hoping to find a new
source that isnt being hammered with Rejects (coin service-wise)

A skunk now and again is ok and expected, maybe even a few in a row... But when you
cant find a single 40% in 8 boxes - I think the source is cooked.

Stay tuned for future endeavors - Ill figure this out sooner or later :) Good luck to you Bigtime, I have a feeling this is how its going to be everywhere very soon. Lots of silver to get, but buried under thousands of boxes of current reject piles all over the country.

Happy searchin'

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
things are looking up for me. one of my out the the way banks produced good. Ill post about that in a new post. A new possible problem is arising. One bank that I have been dropping off the bulk of my rejects one of the tellers was tipping me off that they were going to possibly tell me not to bring coins there anymore.......... This is the usual bank that I have had bad expierences with CRHing.... the one I have been doing buisness with since I was 19. They must really hate coin roll hunters......... to come in the new post........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread