I need advice

dpitt8

May 2, 2008
wa
my hubby and i both agree i need to loose weight. i really want a MD and he has been promising me one for awhile but he now thinks i would get more exercise by getting a bike instead. I understand his viewpoint but how am i gonna convince him now that i want the MD more when he has decided it won't get me as much exercise as a bike would. understandable viewpoint but now i'm almost thinking i will never get a MD at this rate. its kinda depressing sometimes. and recumbent bikes aren't cheap. sigh.

JoeMoto

Jan 3, 2006
Oklahoma
Actually, metal detecting is more exercise than bike riding.

"A man on a bicycle is far ahead of anybody else as far as energy efficiency is concerned."

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you've come to the right place for advise... :tongue3: OK, my advise isn't always good, but you may get a chuckle at some point. For the intent of the post I will be a serious as possible.

Several of the ideas already posted are good ones, so it's best to combine everything into one big ball and run with it. Joemoto is on the money, walking is best thing for you, so you must push for a metal detector in order to get into shape. Go with something used and inexpensive and tell hubby that you have a game to play.. The game is to see how long it will take before your finds cover the cost of a MD :icon_thumleft:

Next... It seems your husband has already made a commitment to get the detector, so start leaving subtle hints around on "legal sized" paper ( I prefer the 11" x 17" canary yellow myself ) and pin them at various spots hubby will be sure to pass. Leave ads, or print them regarding any MD right on the dinner table with little smiley faces on them too.

Last but not least... Again express your interest in both MD' ing and losing weight. Make a vow to set a goal for yourself and husband as to your weight loss plan and keep a progress chart.

OP
OP
dpitt8

dpitt8

May 2, 2008
wa
thank you all for the tips. All i will keep in mind while formulating my plans.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhhhhh..... Too easy! Tell him he promised the detector, and also wants you to have a bike. He needs to get you both! You can ride the bike to and from the park to detect :thumbsup: Double the exercise double the fun! Everybody's happy ;D

F

Felinepeachy

Tell him you're GETTING the detector!
girl_werewolf.gif

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are you asking?

If you want a metal detector, get one.

If he wants you to have a bike, let him get you one.

I don't see the problem :o :director:

B

OP
OP
dpitt8

dpitt8

May 2, 2008
wa
one other factor i forgot to mention....he already rides a bike so we would be riding together (at least on his shorter rides....he does the Seattle 2 Portland bike ride each year....never gonna do that one...i'm support crew for him)

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's look at this practically and from a longevity point of view. If you were to get a bike you probably wouldn't ride it as long or as often as you would metal detecting. Would you be more likely to spend 5 or 6 hours metal detecting or riding a bike? I lost 50 pounds and metal detecting has been the main ingredient in helping me maintain my weight.

Of course I am as obsessive about metal detecting as many runners or cyclists are. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread