Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 46 to 52 range

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
I'm on my way to a old abandoned high school and I need a target number for a 14 karat gold men's class ring. I would do my own but I hocked it back in 88 to go to spring break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lot's of junk/iron at those numbers, but alas, thats where it will be

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lot's of junk/iron at those numbers, but alas, thats where it will be

No luck today. I was thinking about it during the seven hours I was looking for a class ring. Giving respect to the people that search and gives that person their ring back is great. But to purposely spend that much time looking for a senior ring and giving it back, sorry I'm not the one! Lol

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of class rings are 10k which could ring up differently.

kenonimo

Nov 25, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476754452.436980.jpg

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even the ones back in the 70s and 80s?

Yes. I've found a few 10k's that bounced around. 10k is less than 50pct gold and could have different alloys mixed in.

I actually use the ATP in the dry sand at the beach at night and have gotten pretty good going by tone only since you can't see the display. I try not to look at the screen as much as I once did.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Hate that Chart BUT Is Right The foil sucks In Pro Mode but it Has A Scratchy Sound

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on the size of the ring. I've found 14K rings up to 75. The 75 signal was almost 11 grams. I've had 73 at 10 grams, and a bunch of 67-69s that are all around 8 grams. Going smaller, I've found a few 4-6 gram rings in the 54-65 range. Less than 2-4 grams you'll run it's about 47-62.

Unless you have an exact copy of the ring to test, or the weight... it's going to be VERY hard to determine the signal. Personally, if it's just been lost, and is expected to be on/near the surface, I would look for very strong signals that give multiple beeps on the pass. 14K gold rings (and other rings, too) have a tendency to ring up on the edge of the leading edge of the coil, the middle cross over, and the trailing edge of the coil in Pro mode. This results in a "bid-deep-deep" signal as you pass over it. You can also just have a long solid signal, too, depending on the size of the ring, and the position in the ground (vertical or flat).

Definitely will be a solid signal, though, unless the ring is broken somehow.

EDIT: A more careful look of your post suggests this might be a large class ring at 14K. You could end up with a signal has high as 82-85 on a huge 13-15 gram 14K class ring. Penny signal for sure at that size in 14K. Probably looking at 73-83...

Skippy

Damn Skippy you have some knowledge under you belt. Well let me ask you this since you can't dig up ever number you come across when it comes to gold is it more pitch of sound you look for?

Edit. 161 rings for this year!!!! Lol Sensei make me your grasshopper teach me everything please.

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug large gold class rings that rang up to 82 on the AT Pro. You will need to dig everything from 47-82 to insure you get all potential targets. If its a recent loss, I'd turn the sensitivity down to detect shallower targets.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Last edited:

The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The class ring i dug up was a size 13 mens ring. 10k gold made in 1974 for the class of 75. was about 6 inches deep and rang up a 63 on my at pro with iron disc at 22.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have dug large gold class rings that rang up to 82 on the AT Pro. You will need to dig everything from 47-82 to insure you get all potential targets. If its a recent loss, I'd turn the sensitivity down to detect shallower targets.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Nothing lost I just know off a abandoned boys high school that I've been 3 times with nothing gained. It was from early 1920's to Katrina. I have found one girls high school ring but a boys high school ring is definitely on my bucket list.
d6435fb17409e09cda3aa8c8320165cc.jpg

DigDeepNow

Jul 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very helpful.
Thanks.

I have found 31 gold rings in the last 21 months, and over 300 rings total. I just updated my current totals for the year... I'm at 214 rings.

To answer your question, YES... you can generally get a good idea of what a target is going to be good based on the sound it makes. But not always. I found a 2.4 gram 14K gold earring earlier this year in about 4.5 inches of soil. It ran up 42 and sort of broken sounding. I would have sworn an oath it was aluminum trash. I pulled it because I didn't want to find it again in the future. I was totally surprised! The signal was because it wasn't a full "ring/circle" Just a big almost circle. The shape has a lot to do with the sounds. Breaks in the circle on a ring will also degrade the signal (like a broken/split band, will create "cracking" in the signal).

For the most part though, it's easy to learn unbroken ring signals. Just grab a handful of them from someone's jewelry box and toss them on the ground. Raise or lower your coil for different "depth" readings. If you can get a few gold rings in the mix, you'll quickly discover that gold rings ring pretty darn solid all the way through the depth, until right at the edge of the signal. Unless there's a break in them, or if they're earrings, you'll get a decent signal on them. Rings are typically nice and clear, even if they're junk. The shape does it, I think. It's probably one of the reasons the old style pull-tabs sound so good. A nice bit round ring in them. The only thing you have to watch for is those surface rings that do the bid-deep-deep signal as you run past them. If you're unfamiliar with this sound, you can accidentally assume its a bunch of trash together. It only happens if you wave your whole full coil over it though, if you're using the wiggle method, once you isolate, you'll just get one signal back and forth (because you're only using the middle of the coil).

You can replicate this with pretty much any large ring, you can put it on top of the ground and over-swing it with each pass, with a fast swing. Close proximity just sets off the detector three times as it passes each coil wire.

For me, I almost always have a good idea its a ring when I go to dig it. But that doesn't mean the sound is ALWAYS a ring. It just means that it's not some piece of trash that I know is trash. LOTS of trash, though, sounds just like rings do... ESPECIALLY the dreaded pull-tab... though after over 500 hours on the AT Pro, I'm getting to the point I think I can pick them out. I'm learning that they do have a slightly different sound to them... I'm getting closer, and I've not been surprised, yet, when I think it's a pull tab. I can't always tell, but I'm getting close. Basically, for the induction signal between 52 and 55, the strength of the signal should be a bit "more" for a ring, than is showing up in a pull tab. A 55 signal that is a gold ring on the surface will bid-deep-deep, for example, but a pulltab often won't... but it'll show 2" or less. It's all tricky, and I definitely am still learning the nuances. In this case, it would sound the exact same for someone just listening for a signal. It's the strength of the signal that gives it away.

That being said, I dig most everything I come across above 35. I have a limited number of parks and schools I hit, and I'd rather have them "clean" so I don't worry about the same pull tab everytime I go through an area. For me, it works. If I go to another city, though, I don't dig it all...and I only search for the signals that have a high probability.

I chose 35, btw, because I have a tendency to pull out small chains from tot-lots at that low signal. None of them have ever been gold, but a 35 is low enough to catch the larger bracelets. I'm considering, though, that I should go Pro-Zero mode in tot-lots, just because I can pull out nails and stuff, too... Who knows, maybe I'll get surprised with a stud earring that rings up at 12.

Cheers!

Skippy

Cheers,

Skippy

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found 31 gold rings in the last 21 months, and over 300 rings total. I just updated my current totals for the year... I'm at 214 rings.

To answer your question, YES... you can generally get a good idea of what a target is going to be good based on the sound it makes. But not always. I found a 2.4 gram 14K gold earring earlier this year in about 4.5 inches of soil. It ran up 42 and sort of broken sounding. I would have sworn an oath it was aluminum trash. I pulled it because I didn't want to find it again in the future. I was totally surprised! The signal was because it wasn't a full "ring/circle" Just a big almost circle. The shape has a lot to do with the sounds. Breaks in the circle on a ring will also degrade the signal (like a broken/split band, will create "cracking" in the signal).

For the most part though, it's easy to learn unbroken ring signals. Just grab a handful of them from someone's jewelry box and toss them on the ground. Raise or lower your coil for different "depth" readings. If you can get a few gold rings in the mix, you'll quickly discover that gold rings ring pretty darn solid all the way through the depth, until right at the edge of the signal. Unless there's a break in them, or if they're earrings, you'll get a decent signal on them. Rings are typically nice and clear, even if they're junk. The shape does it, I think. It's probably one of the reasons the old style pull-tabs sound so good. A nice bit round ring in them. The only thing you have to watch for is those surface rings that do the bid-deep-deep signal as you run past them. If you're unfamiliar with this sound, you can accidentally assume its a bunch of trash together. It only happens if you wave your whole full coil over it though, if you're using the wiggle method, once you isolate, you'll just get one signal back and forth (because you're only using the middle of the coil).

You can replicate this with pretty much any large ring, you can put it on top of the ground and over-swing it with each pass, with a fast swing. Close proximity just sets off the detector three times as it passes each coil wire.

For me, I almost always have a good idea its a ring when I go to dig it. But that doesn't mean the sound is ALWAYS a ring. It just means that it's not some piece of trash that I know is trash. LOTS of trash, though, sounds just like rings do... ESPECIALLY the dreaded pull-tab... though after over 500 hours on the AT Pro, I'm getting to the point I think I can pick them out. I'm learning that they do have a slightly different sound to them... I'm getting closer, and I've not been surprised, yet, when I think it's a pull tab. I can't always tell, but I'm getting close. Basically, for the induction signal between 52 and 55, the strength of the signal should be a bit "more" for a ring, than is showing up in a pull tab. A 55 signal that is a gold ring on the surface will bid-deep-deep, for example, but a pulltab often won't... but it'll show 2" or less. It's all tricky, and I definitely am still learning the nuances. In this case, it would sound the exact same for someone just listening for a signal. It's the strength of the signal that gives it away.

That being said, I dig most everything I come across above 35. I have a limited number of parks and schools I hit, and I'd rather have them "clean" so I don't worry about the same pull tab everytime I go through an area. For me, it works. If I go to another city, though, I don't dig it all...and I only search for the signals that have a high probability.

I chose 35, btw, because I have a tendency to pull out small chains from tot-lots at that low signal. None of them have ever been gold, but a 35 is low enough to catch the larger bracelets. I'm considering, though, that I should go Pro-Zero mode in tot-lots, just because I can pull out nails and stuff, too... Who knows, maybe I'll get surprised with a stud earring that rings up at 12.

Cheers!

Skippy

Cheers,

Skippy

Skippy I learned a lot from this thanks. I've only found 2 gold rings on was 5 inches and one was surface. So now I have to dig all 2" range singles because I found one like this.
d63c338df6ef37343516375d4ea3a25c.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a ring with a bad solder joint, all bets are off on what number it will be....

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Hate that Chart BUT Is Right The foil sucks In Pro Mode but it Has A Scratchy Sound

I Still Hate that Chart, Now that I Has Been Proven Right By Me Post Coming Soon FOIL SUCKS

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skippy I learned a lot from this thanks. I've only found 2 gold rings on was 5 inches and one was surface. So now I have to dig all 2" range singles because I found one like this.
d63c338df6ef37343516375d4ea3a25c.jpg

Sexy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions