Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I was MD'ing next door when a pick up truck pulled over. I thought i was gonna get an earful of how i shouldn't dig up the vacant house's yard (which i have permission from), however, it turned out to be a guy down the block who needed help finding a relative's lost diamond stud earring. I thought it would be a piece of cake in such a small corner of the yard, but, it was full of trash. Not only was there huge chunks of iron, but pie tins and ball lids. We ended digging up all the foil because i had no idea how deep it would register. I had no luck today so i asked him to get the other earing from his relative and see what it would register as. I have a new DFX with stock coil and 3x6 shooter. The earring is resting on top the group in an area full of iron and pie tins. ANY TIPS WELCOMED!

HH
-GC

(btw, isn't there a program on my machine that will find only one target?)

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a Program on the Explorer.
There may be on the DFX

Your going about it the right way.
Find the Number & Tone
Hopefully it isn't on top of a Pie pan
that is Under Ground.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting for this is going to be a slow process. What you need to know is how they figure it is where it is at. I've hunted many a yards looking for lost rings and they are mostly lost somewhere else or taken off and forgotten about. I hope your paid something, even some beer is nice for the work and knowledge you bring to the pie pan collection.

There is a program for finding a like target on the DFX and most detectors that accept or reject notches. Use the small coil and forget anything that is under the grass.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Hunting for this is going to be a slow process. What you need to know is how they figure it is where it is at. I've hunted many a yards looking for lost rings and they are mostly lost somewhere else or taken off and forgotten about. I hope your paid something, even some beer is nice for the work and knowledge you bring to the pie pan collection.

There is a program for finding a like target on the DFX and most detectors that accept or reject notches. Use the small coil and forget anything that is under the grass.

Good Luck.

I'm worried that my MD will misjudge the depth.....

HH
-GC

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
once you test the other one.
Remember the Volume that it hit at also

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
remember it could have been stepped on.
Been Flung out of where they Think.
Caught on a Bush, etc.

bubbyyy

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2007
king george, virgina
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur 1000 whites dfx
I`ll tell you what i think you should do if I was in this position I have a dfx and the the shooter coil that that small coil is the beast thats all i ever use on this machine but what I think you should do is put back on the stock coil ask the guy does he have another matching studed ear ring just like the one he lost the same exact one ! go into prospecting pogram edit block all vdi # and learn accept the earring match pospecting mode is killer for finding small things i use it in sand boxes at playgrounds after i i dont get anymore signals in the regular programs and i always come up with something this will have you on your knees looking for a bee bee a earing that small will be like finding a needle in a haystack any other way but with some luck you may find it let me know if this helps any look in your manual on learning accept

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
I do not have a DFX so I cannot comment on any adjustments or
settings. But I would have to try getting a signal from another
earing lying on the ground in the same area. if you are still
getting a lot of junk signals try shortening your rod and holding the
detector higher off the ground in order to shorten it's depth
reading. This may help eliminate some of the pie pans.

Just my thoughts
Joe

au4me

Mar 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whatever get"s the job done
Goldencoin,

Try a shopvac, I know it sounds crazy but I"v been hired several times over the years to find Stud earrings and I usually find them, Vacume the area very well and go thru the bag after your done,PS start out w a clean vacume bag or barell?.

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
AU4ME

That sounds like a great idea. That way you get the top debris only. I will have to remember that one.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I'd find that in no time with my GoldBug2.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread