i need help,on the lifestyle of the sign makers.

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
howdy all,i would like to know if anyone knows about the lifestyle of the the spanish miners at the mines.like how close did they live to the mine.would they have huts?who where the labors?where they paid or forced,if forced,would they be tied down?did they processe the ore there? would there be security to keep the labors in and intruders out?do you think they would have a doctor and a holy man there?where there hunters for the food and water?how many in # would this operation need there.how long do you think a operation like that would last? any help would be a great help. id like to try and find there camp,so i could metal detec. for some artfacts,thanks all. good luck in your searches. dog,tth

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dog, TTher;
For the answers to your questions, find a copy of the book, DE RE METALLICA by, Agricola and interpreted by Hoover ( that's President Herbert Hoover) This book tells everything about how the Spanish operated their mining activities in different parts of the world and includes woodcuts illustrating the points of info. Old Dog said he found a copy on the web that could be read online. If it can be read online, you should be able to download a copy there. It is an excellent reference source, but a little hard to read because Mr. Hoover made it a straight translation from Spanish to English and it can sound a little bit "off". LOL that's the best I can explain it. If I try to read more than 5 or 6 pages at a time, it gives me a headache. ;D

OP
OP
D
Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info shortstack,i surley will do a internet seach on the subject. thanks again. dog,tth

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcomed, dog. There is at least ONE thing, though, that this book will NOT mention and that's the slave labor used in the western hemisphere. There was not much mention of that little situation because it would have been frowned on in "polite" company. LOL

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Here's a reference to indians being enslaved.

During the expansion of French exploration and trade in western regions of the Mississippi and Missouri river tributaries, stories circulated about deposits of gold and silver in the territory of Western Louisiana. When these stories were printed in Paris newspapers, French politicians decided this was a good time to take action. They were glad to use this as a means of getting appropriations for expeditions to Western Louisiana. At that time, the French government was being ridiculed because Louisiana was considered a millstone around France's neck; millions of francs had been lost in efforts to develop the territory.

In 1716, after conferring with Sieur Hubert, an official in Louisiana, the French government sent Sr. Bernard de La Harpe on an expedition to explore present-day Colorado. Traveling from St. Louis up the Missouri River to where it turned northward, the expedition continued westward on today's Kansas River. Traveling a well-used trail (the latter-day Smoky Hill Trail along this river, the expedition turned into a fork coming from the northwest. (This trail actually had three branches. Each followed a stream that flowed into what is now called the Republican River, which emptied into the Kansas River. The streams were the North Fork of the Republican, the Middle Fork or Arikaree River, and the South Fork. In later years, the South Fork became the dominant trail.)

Upon reaching the headwaters of the stream (today's Arikaree River), La Harpe tells of how they continued westward, crossing several dry streambeds and then followed another Indian trail, Deer Trail Creek or Bijou Creek, into a valley where a river flowed northward. This was the South Platte River near Log Lane Village, or present-day Ft. Morgan, Colorado. A short time later, La Harpe’s scouts reported that there was a large camp of Padoucas up ahead. (The early French referred to most of the Indians in Colorado as "Padoucas" (Padokas) or "Laitanes." The Apaches were called "Canies.") As their party descended bluffs near the river, they saw a group of riders leaving the village and heading south, going up the river with carts drawn by oxen.

While trading with the Indians, La Harpe was told that the party they had seen leaving were Espagnol (Spanish) traders from Taos. The Padoucas (Cheyenne or Arapaho Indians) explained that they traded furs, meat, and vegetables for gold and silver earrings, bracelets, and medallions made by the Espagnols. La Harpe learned that the Espagnols mined great quantities of gold and silver in the mountains to the west. The party was also told of Indians being enslaved to work these mines.

Traveling up the Platte River to the location of present-day Denver, the expedition left the river, following today’s Cherry Creek to its headwaters. From there, they traveled southeastward to the Marne or Napesth (Arkansas) River, returning to the Fleur St. Louis River (Mississippi River). (La Harpe wasn’t sure if he was on the Arkansas River. Later, he led another expedition back up this river, which was called Napest by the Kiowa Apache Indians

OP
OP
D
Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow,mdog. thanks, that was a great history lesson.it tells me the spainish could do a lot of trading localey to get food supplys form the indians.so they wouldnt have to hunt real hard for food.and they used forced labour.thanks for the info. and your time,mdog. take care. dog,tth

OP
OP
D
Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks mdog,i checked that site out.i enjoyed it,i wish there was more there.
shortstack,thanks for that info on that sight,i looked at the photos,i understand there mining opps. better now,the sure needed wood for there opps.,and i got to see some of there tools thanks all. good luck in your searches. dog,tth

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

Attachments

• Aguirre.jpg
    Aguirre.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 290

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread