I NEED HELP WITH HUNTTING OLD CELLARHOLE

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
??? ??? ???What I need help with is! How to hunt a old cellarhole??? I know of a lot of them, just can not seem to hit anything worth my time. I hunt with the minelab Explorer II any tips please......................

THANKS
                   DEEPDIGGEREXPII                                ;D     ???          ;D

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Re: I NEED HELP WITH THIS

LOL.........see.....the above 2 posts...... ;D

GL & HH,

DugHoles

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Actually, I could use a little help with this too. I was told of a property near my town, I have found the foundation, and there is A LOT of junk. I am seeing no evidence of previous digs. I was also told by an older woman that grew up here that her father had hidden(or buried) a box of coins because of the "repealment" of the gold standard.

I am potentially sitting on a real treasure cache-please, any help.

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Here's how you hunt the cellar hole: Pinpoint, dig, repeat. Dig everything. You NEVER know. If you dig lots of junk, then the place will be 'cleaner' the next time you go out. Take all the trash you dig, and dispose of it properly, and keep hitting the place. EVERYWHERE people have been, they've lost things. Everywhere. There is something at the cellarhole (most likely on the outside), so if you dig every signal, gradually remove all the trash that's masking the treasure, you'll eventually find it. I'd say that advice is likely true of any potential site, but if you've got a cellar hole from a home that's been gone 100 years, you're sitting on a goldmine.

Good luck, and post your finds here.

Roger

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Thanx ramjet, I'm probably headed out there tomorrow, I'll post if I find anything. I guess on the good side there's alot of junk iron there, must mean it's pretty untouched. I think one of the problems I was having is getting discouraged by the trash, so I would look for a more "trash-free" site. From what I'm now hearing, this might not be the best tactic :-[

'preciate the tippage!!

Hounddog

Mar 23, 2005
There has been a few cellar holes that I have found filled in being close to the road but looking at trees and plants as stated before show where it should have been. Looking for a well will also help and keep you from falling in :o . I will find the privy to before I even turn on the MD. Look for a round or square depression in the ground near the cellar hole. I always start MDing around these first and work my way to the cellar hole.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Geez, guys thanks for honoring my self-proclaimed title. I hope I can live up the the expectations placed upon me!

Deepdigger....There are a few cellarholes that you will not find even one thin dime. Others will have coins scattered here and there. I usually don't waste too much time real close to the hole where the nails are. About 6 feet from the hole itself you can descriminate between signals better. Good luck.

Attachments

• megamonalisa_queen-mona.jpg
    megamonalisa_queen-mona.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 288
  • megamonalisa_queen-mona.jpg
    megamonalisa_queen-mona.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 281

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many new readers will enjoy learning how to hunt old cellar holes, including myself.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you have a lot of cellar holes around then find one that has given you some goodies and work it hard. Some places will have very little good stuff and some will have quite a lot. Buttons, buckles and old coins are good. Don't try to search the actual hole itself. There's probably way too much iron crap laying around. Start around the perimeter of the hole just outside the iron patch. You'll still run into lots of iron, but try to work between the iron by using very short swings of the coil. I dig everything above iron. Old tombac buttons hit around the foil area and smaller deeper stuff will give you a weaker signal. Being able to discern the audio of the signal you're getting will help you more than looking at a screen to get an I.D. of a target. You can't hunt a cellar hole like you would a park. Slow and steady. Take your time. I have been working one cellar hole off and on since last Spring and she's still giving up some goodies every now and then. But now I'm really having to work at it by digging really iffy signals and diggin iron to get it out of the way. Usually I come home empty handed and I'm content at doing so. But, it's an old site and I love digging old stuff so I keep at it. Not everything is going to be near the hole either. My oldest coin on this property (1700's) was found a couple hundred feet from the hole. If you have found more than a couple things at a place then I would hit it pretty hard.

Here's a nice tutorial on hunting cellar holes:http://metaldetectingworld.com/metal_detecting_cellar_holes_p1.shtml

-Swartzie

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around old cellar holes, search where the door were, because most time builders place a coin under outsides doors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread