I need help with my dog! Are dog training classes worth it?

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Hello Everyone! I am trying to train my dog at home and so far have taught her how to sit, stay and so far the "come" command is starting to sink in. I want her to be able to go to the dog park and not run away from me and I also do not want her to not bite me when we play toss the ball. What do you guys think? Is it worth the cash to train a dog that is only 1 year old?

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever watch the dog whisperer on national geographic?

I have a black lab that is almost a year old. He is my second black lab. I learned with my first one and he was a great pet. This one is much more well behaved and social. Much of it has to do with watching Cesar Milan. Much of it has to do with exercise, daily exercise. Every dog needs it just like we do. Took me some getting used to but we are both better off because of it.

If you are willing to put the time in until the dog is no longer with you, the money can be worth it. BUT, you must reinforce with the dog what you both learned on a daily basis as long as you own it. My first lab I paid money for training, my current dog I trained on my own. He is still a puppy and needs to be reminded quite often that he is NOT the alpha male in our house.

Research your breed if you have not done so yet. Each breed has different needs. Treat the dog well based on the breed needs and the dog will return many years of loyal service and affection.

habs

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of dog? I have a yellow lab just over a year old and she is still very much a puppy. You have to be two things.....patient and consistant. I can tell my dog to "Get the gate" and she will go to the chainlink gate, jump up and flip the latch to open it with her nose. She also fetches and brings the item back instantly which is great because her future is being a bird dog. She does all that and yet she is so antsy she will only sit and stay for a few seconds. I know I need to spend more one-on-one time with her but I can't see sending a dog to training. Of course, where I'm from we don't have "dog parks" either. I remember one time I took another hunting dog to the "female" vet to have him checked for worms. While I was in the exam room with the vet and her college-age assistant, she asked me if I had the dog on a vitamin program. I told her, "Lady, I didn't even have my kids on a vitamin program!" Her assistant had to leave the room. ;D
With time your dog should come around. Just spend some more quality time together and the dog will learn what you want. Take the money you would have spent on a trainer and buy some dogie treats......better yet, send it to me for the advice!

C

Cappy Z.

Give the dog to your local mailman to get rid of it...they are experts....

8)

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Tee , I couldn't agree with you more . You live with your pup regardless of breed and remember that they are children , just like horses . You have to be consistent on a daily basis and nurture them . They wish to please . You just have to give them some consistant guidance .
For the novice : both of you need to go to school together . No one else can train 'your' dog for you .

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have adopted many - many pets and livestock over the years, and have learned alot.

The very best thing I ever did was YEARS ago, when I hired a trainer to come to my home and train me and the dog. It was a tad expensive,
but, I had just adopted a 3 year old Great Dane - with some issues.

The lady did not train my dog - she trained me to train my dog and it has proved extremely valuable over the years. (and great for the Great Dane we named Gypsy). She became a much happier dog, and we kept her until her death from cancer three years later.

Some types of dog definitely are different - no matter what anyone tells you. Some are more primitive than others, (how we ended up having huskies for the last 20+ years), but they can still learn, and while some might not be quite as social as others, they can all become valuable additions to your family - no matter how old or how young they are when they come to your family.

You can teach old dogs new tricks.

B

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
If your dog can't be trained to dig up treasure then I'm beyond giving advise on dog training.

That's my way of finding treasure without the archies coming after me for digging it up.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Detectingfreak said:
Hello Everyone! I am trying to train my dog at home and so far have taught her how to sit, stay and so far the "come" command is starting to sink in. I want her to be able to go to the dog park and not run away from me and I also do not want her to not bite me when we play toss the ball. What do you guys think? Is it worth the cash to train a dog that is only 1 year old?

Google search clicker training. You will find some good information on it.
I taught my American Eskimo how to sit, lay down, sit up on hind legs, come, stay, wait, and many other things by using the clicker method.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nearly every dog is smarter than his/her trainer. But every now and then you run onto a dog that is psycho and I have had a couple of those. My present dog Digsy picks up what I want her to do really quickly and remembers it. But there are just some things some dogs will not do. (Hear that Re Aldi?) :laughing7: Starting young with a dog is the best time. The important thing is to be sure you have their attention. Distractions can ruin any training session. Usually just touching them will get their attention, but sometimes you have to hit them upside the head with a steel skillet........Bong! No, just kidding. Seriously, obedience training is worth while if you go with them and not depend on someone else entirely. Monty

OP
OP
Detectingfreak

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
I decided to get dog training lessons. She starts on August 19th. I am really hoping that I get trained on how to train her. She can Come, Sit, and Stay so far and I havn't even started the lessons yet! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread