diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mrs. O is correct, Max Huncke is known as the grandfather of the embalming process. He started the EMBALMERS SUPPLY COMPANY of Brooklyn, New York in April 1886. Operated as "The Brooklyn Fluid Works" and "Dodge (Dolge) and Huncke Company of Brooklyn". The Embalmers' Supply Company, trade name ESCO, has been the first with many items for use in this industry. Imported Formaldehyde for use in embalming fluid, made and produced the first Morgue Table, introduced the first double base embalming fluid, first company to use a wetting agent in fluids, invented and marketed the first tissue filler, introduced plastic garments to the industry, first Calcium Sequestering agent introduced to embalming fluids, manufactured and marketed the first aerosol products to this industry, and the list goes on.

OP
OP
jhnbaker

jhnbaker

Greenie
Mar 28, 2007
Booneville Mississippi
If this is an embalming oil bottle that would be strange. My family were all farmers. Could this be used for some other purpose or could this be the famous liniment oil that goes under the same name?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jhnbaker said:
If this is an embalming oil bottle that would be strange. My family were all farmers. Could this be used for some other purpose or could this be the famous liniment oil that goes under the same name?
If your talking about Dodge's Rheumatic Liniment, I would say no. That is a cure bottle that dates to the mid to late 1800's and doesn't look like yours, not to mention the price. Farmers were very practical back in the day and made use of whatever they could. It wouldn't surprise me any if this bottle were used (after it was empty) for something other than it's intended use, on the farm because it does have the measurement numbers on the side making it easy to see how much liquid is being used. You know what i'm saying? Here is a link to the company that filled your bottle-http://www.dodgeco.com/

OP
OP
jhnbaker

jhnbaker

Greenie
Mar 28, 2007
Booneville Mississippi
So would the date on this be around the 1940's and what would a collectors value be? I like the bottle because it is a good looking bottle so it is a keeper!!! I thought about sending a picture of it to the Dodge website to give them a blast from the embalming past!!! ;D ;D ;D

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Collector value would be minimal between $5-10 from what I have been able to find out from recent sales on Ebay. Unless you advertise it as an old Dodge motor oil bottle like this guy and others have done then it might fetch a little more, but I wouldn't recommend it-http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-OIL-BOTTLE...ryZ35682QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem . I emailed the winner of that auction and told him what he has. Now that 1850's L.P. Dodge Rheumatoid Liniment bottle depending on the color would be worth upwards of $5,000. Yours is as a cool bottle and a nice conversation piece, i'd be happy with it to add in my collection if I found it.

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet
undertakers used so many of these bottles that some times they sold them to other company's for other uses. I have one with a furniture polish label on it from Wis. Some gas stations might have filled them with bulk oil to sell. I have found round bottom bottles around gas stations with oil in them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread