Southern California/Beijing
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
(A gift from Hosensack)
Fisher F2
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, despite my expectations to not get my hopes down, I am starting to get dissappointed. :( I searched for 3 Hours today, at a ghost town, a park, and my backyard. I didn't find ONE PIECE OF STINKIN' TRASH!!! The problem is either me, or my detector. I would think that it is me, because I am extremely new to this, but I am starting to get frustrated. I need some tips to point me in the right direction so that I can avoid signals that lead to 10 minutes wasted and an empty two foot deep hole.
Thanks,
Guad

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Well, despite my expectations to not get my hopes down, I am starting to get dissappointed. :( I searched for 3 Hours today, at a ghost town, a park, and my backyard. I didn't find ONE PIECE OF STINKIN' TRASH!!! The problem is either me, or my detector. I would think that it is me, because I am extremely new to this, but I am starting to get frustrated. I need some tips to point me in the right direction so that I can avoid signals that lead to 10 minutes wasted and an empty two foot deep hole.
Thanks,
Guad

It's going to be next to impossible for anyone here to diagnose the problem, without being there to see what you're doing. Have you done air tests of a myriad of targets? Try varying depths, sweep speeds (speed at which you pass the target in front of the coil) and so forth. Try putting targets (various different ones, both samples of nails, sample of foil wads, sample of coins, etc....) on the ground, and try "pinpointing" them. Although you'll, of course, know where the item is (because you can plainly see it on top of the ground), yet by playing with your pinpoint mode, and "x-marks-the-spot" , you'll get practice for when the target is un-seen under the ground.

And it's important to hook up with someone in your area, for an actual hands on trading-off-of-signals. This is because metal detecting is SEEOOO "sound specific", and no amount of printed text can adequately convey "sounds". They have to be heard. No amount of printed text can describe what you're listening for/isolating, verses what you ignore, etc.. Same for swing speed, etc... It has to be seen and watched (trade off signals with someone else, to hear what he's trying to isolate, how he pinpoints, how he retrieves, what he's listening for as he retreives, etc... etc.. etc...). All those things are things that the "lights will come on", when you go out with someone proficient.

I see you're from CA. Get on the "Kinzli" forum, and that's where all the CA hunters post. To get to the main page though, you'll have to sign up. But it's easy: just pick a name and a password. Many So. CA hunters on there. And if/when you meet up with someone, don't have them take you to the difficult hard-worked parks or ghost-towns. Instead, for starters, start off going to a place prolific with clad, JUST to get the hang of the basic of isolating targets you want, retreiving, etc... THEN progress to angling for the old stuff, deep stuff, etc...

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're getting lots of signals and not finding anything, and a couple days ago you found some coins...then I'd say something wrong with your machine. But if you're digging monster holes and not finding your target, I'd say it's you.

Have you got the hang of pinpointing a target yet. Most machines the target is close to center of the coil. Do you criss-cross your target from different directions to pinpoint? If not, that could be your problem. Drop a coin on the ground and check it from both directions, finding where your signal is strongest from various direction. That should zero you in on it. You mentioned you have a depth meter, that'll help pinpoint by telling you where the targest is shallowest by criscrossing.

With the 3 locations you mentioned, at the very least you should have dug SOME junk.

If your pinpointing is ok, then I'd have to think whether the machine is messed up.

Check to make sure your cable connections are tight on the coil and control box, make sure your batteries are good, any of the easy to check things first.
If not...go to plan B and check the user manuel for possible problems...if nothing there then maybe contact the manufacturer.

Like Tom suggested, it surely wouldn't hurt to try to meet someone to help you through the learning process.

Al

OP
OP
Guadalcanal

Guadalcanal

Mar 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
(A gift from Hosensack)
Fisher F2
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys! Today I will work on pinpointing things and try to find out what speed I should sweep the coil at. As for hooking up with someone, I'll try, but I have gone on the kinzli forum, and there aren't many metal detectorists I my city, plus, I'm only 13, so I couldn't really drive anywhere, and idk if my parents would be comfortable with it.
Thanks,
Guad

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing I tell anybody about metal detecting, especially sites....is look for high ground near water. I won't detect fields or areas that are more than five hundred yards from a water supply. As for losing targets, some times it pays to walk away..them come back to the hole.

SS

OP
OP
Guadalcanal

Guadalcanal

Mar 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
(A gift from Hosensack)
Fisher F2
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys!! I was just out MD'ing, and before I went I practiced targeting things. I found a quarter and some trash! Thanks a ton! Unfortunately my MD is having technical issues, so I'm gonna have to wait a while before I go back.
Thanks,
Guad

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw the machine was having technical issues..what is the issue? Did you put in a brand new battery? If not try that. Also are you looking at the dirt to see if there is any sign of rust..you could be picking up corroded metal that is now merely rust dust that will be difficult to see and well it's dust so you won't find it. Also you could be finding nail heads and pieces that are no larger than a tiny clump of dirt, without a pinpointer you will never find them. For the time being, it would not be a bad move to go to Harber Freight and pick up a cheap pinpointer(ask on here for brand they sell) it will change the game all together once you have one. The issues you are having are all very common while you are learning, like i said in another post suggestion for right now circle any target you find and if it is repeatable with a good signal all the way around dig it, don't worry about the "iffy' signals for now as alot of them will be junk or false signals, that will just frustrate you. Until you are super confident in yourself and what the machine is telling you stick to only the very good repeatable signals.

Tom

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks,
Guad

So which detector are you using?

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The quick Draw 2 can be a bit fussy to work with.

It has preset ground balance and can be a bit chattery in mineralised ground and at the beach.
I would suggest that you use the All Metal mode at first until you start to understand the detector better.
The Notch and Disc modes are OK but do some bench testing with a lot of different target types so as to get to know what targets disc out at the various settings.
In All metal mode set the sensitivity to where the detector just begins to become unstable and then turn the sens down enough to stop the chattering.
if the detector sounds off when you place the coil close to the ground, say an inch or so above, then reduce the sens until the sound stops or raise the coil a bit higher off the ground.

The pinpoint function is a tad useless on the QD2, so you will need to practice a bit to get the best from it. Just place a few targets of different size on the ground and try to work the pinpoint out for yourself.

Once you have got the hang of the All Met mode then start to experiment with the disc and notch function. You will not get as much depth in the disc mode as in the All metal mode and the higher you set the disc the less depth you will get on any given target,

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Guad (your word, not mine) here are a few things to consider. First, Tom_In_CA knows very much about detecting. Follow his advice closely! Second, Don't even consider throwing in the towel till you have MANY more hours of practice. Pinpointing: Get yourself a piece of styrofoam wall insulation (spelling?) at least 24" by 24". Have a friend tape a coin to one side. Put the sheet back on the ground with the coin on the bottom. Make a "probe" out of a wire coat hanger about 2" long with a finger loop on one end. After you "pinpoint" the coin, stick the probe into the foam. How close was the probe? Keep at it till you can come within an inch of the coin. Make a game out of it with your friend to keep boredom further away. Also, NONE of us learned this stuff in three hours, or three days. Back off. Take a deep breath. And keep at it. It'll come to you. Maybe you're trying TOO hard. TTC

OP
OP
Guadalcanal

Guadalcanal

Mar 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
(A gift from Hosensack)
Fisher F2
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok thanks, I have been practicing, and I'm starting to get the hang of it! Running total is 69 cents and some trash. Thanks for the help!
-Guad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread