I Need Metal Detector Recommendations

nathanm

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alrighty, so I recently started searching for my first cache, but I'm faced with the dilemma of not owning my own metal detector. I've been relic hunting for a few years, but I mostly just combed the ground near ghost towns or in abandoned mines. I'm worried that a detector costing under $300 dollars will be inadequate for what I am searching for, but I can't spend much more that that, given that I'm a high school student without a decent job, though I should have a more reliable source of income within a week or two. The cache could range from just a few lbs. to over 200 lbs., and it is located in a hilly region with gravelly, arsenic-rich soil, and I am unsure of the depth at which it is buried. In conditions such as these, what kind of metal detector should I invest in?​

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello and welcome from White Plains, New York. :occasion14:

Honestly, $300.00 isn't going to do it. You need a machine that you can manually ground balance, and you'll need a Big coil to put on it. If you are looking for coins that have been quickly hidden a metal detector may work, but if you are looking for something more than 26" deep, yo will need to spend a lot more money.

OP
OP
N

nathanm

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for replying. What kind of machines would I be looking at, and what price range would they be in?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you looking for gold or silver? Single coins, jewelry, or bullion? What depth do you think it is buried?

OP
OP
N

nathanm

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold dust in a container most likely made of tin, aluminum, or iron, but I have no idea at what depth it is buried, and there is no source to indicate the depth. All I can find is the area where it is most likely buried.

OP
OP
N

nathanm

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it's probably gold dust, but it may not be. There is very little information about it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If the container is suspected to be soda can sized or larger, get a 2-box unit. Like a TM 808. But if it's tobacco tin sized or smaller, then you're gonna have to get a standard detector of some sort. And if it's steel container (like a tobacco tin or coffee can type metal), then you're going to have to resort to all-metal mode, since the detector is going to try to discriminate out iron .

What makes you think this cache is there ? How big of a search area is it ? If it's small and concise (a single cabin surroundings, etc...) then you can have the liberty to "strip-mine" all large signals. But if it's lots of acres of junky environs, you're gonna be scr#wed .

OP
OP
N

nathanm

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The container is probably a 200 lb. iron ball, but if it isn't, it's probably a flask or canteen. The area is a gold claim, and it's probably close to the ruins of an old shack. I'm honestly not sure if it's out there, but I'd like to check out the area anyway to check out all the ruins there.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would start with something like a Tesoro Vaquero equipped with the 11" x 8" Widescan coil; Minelab 505; Whites MXT; Garrett AT Pro; or a Fisher Goldbug Pro.

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember that not all coils are built the same, some coils that you buy for that 300 dollar machine may work better than that factory one. I have a MXT and I use a Deep Scan 1400 DD coil for gold nuggets. I also have a friend that uses a DD coil from coiltek on his AT Pro and has found more than he ever did with the factory coils. Any machine can be customized but they can only go but so far, you must have a good foundation for success, by buying a good machine. I would not buy anything under a Fisher F-5 or of equal value from another manufacturer.

I also believe that for us fellow detector we must keep this hobby alive for future generations, there should be a way that we can start a program on here for used detectors. Its better to get one from someone that knows the ins and outs of that detector and then if you decide to not stay in the hobby you can sell it to another person on here. Just an idea???

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whites xlt still one of the best,great discrimination,and will go 3 ft with 15 in coil.can pick them up for around 300 on e bay.good luck,and when you get it,read up on it and practice practice and practice.youll learn to become one with it.every little sound and crackle will tell you something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread