I need opinions on a machine upgrade.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So here's the deal. I want a new machine badly! I was thinking along the lines of a Tesoro Outlaw, since it comes with 3 coils, but I don't have the money yet, and I've never run a Tesoro. I'd hate to save up and buy a nearly 600-dollar machine and not like it.

I do, however, have the money for a Compadre. I'm not sure how much of an upgrade (if any) it would be from my current machine. I was just considering buying one and checking out the Tesoro interface. I never use the display on my current el-cheapo machine, so display is not a huge deal, but I do like the multi-tones.

I also noticed some older White's machines like the MXT can be had for relatively cheap on Ebay.

My question is: Should I get a Compadre to see if I like running a Tesoro, or bear with my cheapie machine until I can afford something much better?

I should mention that I have no interest in relic hunting. Just coins and jewelry. Also, complexity regarding more advanced detectors is not something that worries me. I'm a very quick learner. Thanks!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Compadre with 8" coil! Couple used units in the Classifieds!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Tons of people like the AT Pro which can be had for less than $600 new. It would certainly be an upgrade from your BH. I don't own one personally, but I've hunted with folks that own them and watched them score some good digs!

Another option is the Fisher F44. I do own one of these and recommend it fairly regularly.

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread