I need some advice deciding on which detector to keep

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before I started unloading all this money on real expensive detectors, I had used a Cibola for a little over a year. I liked that it was simple, light and could pinpoint perfect enough to almost not need a pinpointer. I traded it late last year and had been missing it. I use my expensive detectors probably 90% of the time, but I still like a light weight simple detector to "throw in the truck" or for someone else to use. About six weeks ago, I purchased another Cibola. I paid a little more than I probably should have, but it wasn't too bad of a deal.

I now have 3 Tesoro's. A Cibola as mentioned above, a Vanquero that I recently traded a Minelab for and a Outlaw that I got a good deal on. All these detectors have found their way to me in about 6 weeks. Amazingly, earlier in the week I took the Outlaw detecting and the first target was a 1929 Mercury dime. I have probably 100 hours on my Deus and I only found one silver dime during that time.

Here is my question:

I hate detectors collecting dust and I want to move 1-2 of them. Which one should I keep and why? Specifically, I am not sure whether I should keep the Vanquero or Outlaw. Either way, I would like to get a 5.75 widescan coil for whichever one I keep. I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Last edited:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Keep the one with the features that best suit your hunting style. For me it would be the Vaq. GL and HH

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep the one with the features that best suit your hunting style. For me it would be the Vaq. GL and HH

It seems that I would probably keep the Vanquero. I'm just not sure if there is a reason feature wise to keep the Outlaw instead other than the no-motion mode which I don't really know if I need anyway.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Get rid of the Cibola for sure...no manual GB.
It is true that many don't need it, but I always believed that at least one detector in the arsenal should have it.
It definitely couldn't hurt, but in many cases it could help.
In some problem areas of the country it is a must have.
Then decide which features on the other two you like the most for your hunting style as already stated.
The Vaq is a bit deeper, a little higher frequency, too.
That frequency thing is not a big deal to me, I find gold and silver with detectors that have low frequency up to high, but depth might matter to you.
The disc is slightly different between them, I understand the Outlaw will keep the quarter but can disc out a dime.
That might matter if you hunt park sites with high tone trash.
The Vaq is 180 ED, in reality it really isn't, more like 165-170, but you do get more low end to play with and that could be important if you hunt relics.
The tone is not the same.
You might like one over the other, or can hear targets better using one of those tones.
Only you can decide which is the very best one for you.
Both are good, both find great things, both are fun to use, as long as you have both weigh all the facts and features and keep the one you think you think you will enjoy the most.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sale the Vaq to me!! lol
I would say if it were me and i hunted coins more i would keep the outlaw....if i hunted relics more, the Vaq.

Personally, i would keep them both and sale the Cibola...but i am a hoarder....lol.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep the one ya find stuff with

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have all three and I would part with the Cibola for the above reason's.
I LOVE my Outlaw and NEED my Vaq. I don't need the Cibloa since I have my Vaq. The Cibola is my fishing partners and she loves it.
Keep them all and buy more , what are you thinking any way!

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get rid of the Cibola for sure...no manual GB.
It is true that many don't need it, but I always believed that at least one detector in the arsenal should have it.
It definitely couldn't hurt, but in many cases it could help.
In some problem areas of the country it is a must have.
Then decide which features on the other two you like the most for your hunting style as already stated.
The Vaq is a bit deeper, a little higher frequency, too.
That frequency thing is not a big deal to me, I find gold and silver with detectors that have low frequency up to high, but depth might matter to you.
The disc is slightly different between them, I understand the Outlaw will keep the quarter but can disc out a dime.
That might matter if you hunt park sites with high tone trash.
The Vaq is 180 ED, in reality it really isn't, more like 165-170, but you do get more low end to play with and that could be important if you hunt relics.
The tone is not the same.
You might like one over the other, or can hear targets better using one of those tones.
Only you can decide which is the very best one for you.
Both are good, both find great things, both are fun to use, as long as you have both weigh all the facts and features and keep the one you think you think you will enjoy the most.

Some things to ponder. Good information. I would say that my ground doesn't need GB, but with the Deus I notice a big difference when my detector is not GB, with any others I have used not so much.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd keep the Vaq for the ground balance feature, then probably keep the Cibola as well because those two use the same family of coils.
luvsdux

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that I am going to keep the Vanquero. I had one and liked it the little I used it, found my first round ball with it and wasn't even relic shooting. It really is about brand new.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Simple solution.

You ship me all your detectors except two.

When you need one of the one's you shipped me, send in one of your current ones in trade. That way you will only have two detectors at a time.

When you finally either A. go broke from shipping charges -or- B. end up with your favorite two detectors, you shall have your answer.

And don't worry about the remaining machines, I'll take very good care of them.

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
deus sucks (sorry supporters) anyway, Pointman, My dad loves his Cibola we bought from you, it's found millions of goodies. but I would have to recommend a Tesoro Tejon. Good luck!

oh and on the cibola the frequency switch is awesome for group hunts! ****s everyone elses detecting :D HAHA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread