I need some advice on which metal detector to buy

bigrush828

Aug 7, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all, I'm pretty new to the MD world, but I have enough experience to know I need an upgrade. I currently own a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV (I know, I'm a newbie, etc etc). I have learned to use it well, and it has had success, but i need more options and power. I have been doing some research, and the "Fisher F5" looks promising. I also like the features of the "Garret AT PRO", but some of the issues I read about have turned me off to it. I know these are both "intermediate", and that's ok. I would not mind some more advanced than these though.

If I throw out some criteria, I was hoping some of you MD guru's could throw out some suggestions.

Here are my requirements (some exceptions could be made if need be):
- Budget = $800 or less
-Good coin detector
-Good CW relic detector
-Good for finding gold/silver jewelry in parks, old yards, etc.
-I would like one that has a different sound for different types of metal, but this may not be possible
-Doesn't have to penetrate super deep, but 8-10' at least is preferred
-Nothing insanely hard to learn and fumble with while in the field
-Nice digital display with some kind of indicator to help weed out garbage like foil.
-I live in Northwest Arkansas (Ozark mountains), so I am pretty sure we have highly mineralized soil. Someone here may be more familiar with this area's soil? just assume I need one that will help combat those pesky minerals in the soil.

Ok, so maybe I just described everyone's dream machine that does not exist, but based on this criteria, I would love to start a dialog of different options. thanks in advance and i LOVE this forum!! So much great knowledge!

-BR828

Upvote 0

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boy, you have so many to choose from! I agree with the "go cheaper" at first, and then upgrade. Every detector is a little different, and you may find that there are some features that you really like, and some that you don't. I have had a 90's Whites 6000 DI Pro, and I loved it! So sorry that I sold it. But technology improves as the years go by, so even though you buy a less expensive model, does NOT mean that they are worthless. I just bought a Whites Prizm 5G, and it's different than what I'm used to, but it appears to be a good detector! It all depends on what you are going to use it for primarily. There are Garrett Ace350's that are good, Whites Spectrum XLT's are ALWAYS a good buy, Whites AT Pros, Garrett GTI2500's....and the list goes on and on. The one thing that I WISH I would have done, was to contact the dealer that I purchased my detector from, Clevenger Detector Sales, and asked the owner Chuck Clevenger to send me a packet with a complete list of the sales and prices of the detectors that he has. He has a LOT of detectors...used, demos, and closeouts. I bought my Prizm 5G for $314.00 SHIPPED, because it was a factory refurb. Normally this is a $500 detector, so you can see I saved a boatload! Plus, refurbs are just as good as new, and carry the FULL factory warranty! It's a win-win! I also bought a new set of Whites Royal headphones, normally $50, for $20. I personally will stick with this dealer, since he answers the phone himself, and he will give you one heck of a deal. Just my 2 cents.

Just do your homework before you buy :read2: , and then look for online reviews. The biggest thing I can suggest...regardless of the detector you get...is to learn that detector inside and out! I've seen older guys out there with OLD equipment that they have had for years and years, and they can dig up stuff faster than you would believe!! It's because they are familiar with their equipment. There is a learning curve with any new detector, so don't get frustrated....just find one that you feel comfortable with, then go out and DIG! That will include digging questionable targets, but you will get a feel for what the detector is telling you. You will soon learn what targets are junk, which ones are possible valuable targets, and which ones are solid targets. You will also find that some detectors have adjustments that you will need to play with in order to yield the results you are after. Remember...when in doubt, dig it out! What's the worst that can happen?? You dig up an aluminum can? Big whoop! LOL! But learn what your detector is trying to tell you. Don't ALWAYS trust the readout. And above all....have fun! There are going to be days where you bring home a buck in clad change....and other days where you find really cool stuff!! Today I dug at what sounded like a quarter, and came up with an almost 300 year old Chinese coin! May only be worth $5, but it was so cool! What other hobby yields that sort of reward?! Granted, you may never get rich, or your could luck out and make a million! LOL!

Well, I've rambled on and on, but I truly hope you find a detector that you like, since there are 1000 of them out there! LOL! Good luck, and Happy Hunting!! :thumbsup:

DeJa :coffee2:

OP
OP
bigrush828

bigrush828

Aug 7, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Other
mydejavooo said:
Boy, you have so many to choose from! I agree with the "go cheaper" at first, and then upgrade. Every detector is a little different, and you may find that there are some features that you really like, and some that you don't. I have had a 90's Whites 6000 DI Pro, and I loved it! So sorry that I sold it. But technology improves as the years go by, so even though you buy a less expensive model, does NOT mean that they are worthless. I just bought a Whites Prizm 5G, and it's different than what I'm used to, but it appears to be a good detector! It all depends on what you are going to use it for primarily. There are Garrett Ace350's that are good, Whites Spectrum XLT's are ALWAYS a good buy, Whites AT Pros, Garrett GTI2500's....and the list goes on and on. The one thing that I WISH I would have done, was to contact the dealer that I purchased my detector from, Clevenger Detector Sales, and asked the owner Chuck Clevenger to send me a packet with a complete list of the sales and prices of the detectors that he has. He has a LOT of detectors...used, demos, and closeouts. I bought my Prizm 5G for $314.00 SHIPPED, because it was a factory refurb. Normally this is a $500 detector, so you can see I saved a boatload! Plus, refurbs are just as good as new, and carry the FULL factory warranty! It's a win-win! I also bought a new set of Whites Royal headphones, normally $50, for $20. I personally will stick with this dealer, since he answers the phone himself, and he will give you one heck of a deal. Just my 2 cents.

Just do your homework before you buy :read2: , and then look for online reviews. The biggest thing I can suggest...regardless of the detector you get...is to learn that detector inside and out! I've seen older guys out there with OLD equipment that they have had for years and years, and they can dig up stuff faster than you would believe!! It's because they are familiar with their equipment. There is a learning curve with any new detector, so don't get frustrated....just find one that you feel comfortable with, then go out and DIG! That will include digging questionable targets, but you will get a feel for what the detector is telling you. You will soon learn what targets are junk, which ones are possible valuable targets, and which ones are solid targets. You will also find that some detectors have adjustments that you will need to play with in order to yield the results you are after. Remember...when in doubt, dig it out! What's the worst that can happen?? You dig up an aluminum can? Big whoop! LOL! But learn what your detector is trying to tell you. Don't ALWAYS trust the readout. And above all....have fun! There are going to be days where you bring home a buck in clad change....and other days where you find really cool stuff!! Today I dug at what sounded like a quarter, and came up with an almost 300 year old Chinese coin! May only be worth $5, but it was so cool! What other hobby yields that sort of reward?! Granted, you may never get rich, or your could luck out and make a million! LOL!

Well, I've rambled on and on, but I truly hope you find a detector that you like, since there are 1000 of them out there! LOL! Good luck, and Happy Hunting!! :thumbsup:

Great advice! Thanks! I definitely know I need to upgrade...it seems just so overwhelming to find that "perfect" detector for my needs...I am going to research the one's you mentioned. Any more suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks to all!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big Rush,
Feel free to give me a call. I can answer all your questions and give you great pricing. Lots of choices out there for sure!

Thanks, Bart.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One you may want to consider that falls in that range is the Cortes by Tesoro. It has the features you are asking for (including price). Best part is you wouldn't need to upgrade down the road....not saying you won't change, but wouldn't need to.

I don't carry them but there are a few good guys to chose from on here if you are looking.

Tom

OP
OP
bigrush828

bigrush828

Aug 7, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for the replies...I know there others here with opinions :-)

Lets here 'em!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get yourself a new AT Pro with cam locks and extended arm and a Garrett pro Pointer. All the problems are good with this model.

That is a great setup for the hunting you described.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are on the right track. Garrett hit it on the nose with a ACE series, 150, 250, 350. The AT Pro is good but not in salt water. Fresh fine, salt iffy. You are correct in questioning the local soil conditions. Check with a local dealer/club member or detectorist with some experience, it may save you some frustration and money.

Ed D.

OP
OP
bigrush828

bigrush828

Aug 7, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Other
stoopstroop said:
Get yourself a new AT Pro with cam locks and extended arm and a Garrett pro Pointer. All the problems are good with this model.

I have a Garret pin pointer, and wouldn't hunt without it...

I am seriously considering a Whites MTX Pro. This seems to have great features for coins/jewelry, relics and gold. The only thing I don't like os the 2 yr factory warranty. Seems too short to me. I have read many great things about Whites. Anyone have a reason NOT to get this MD?

Thanks for everyone's responses!

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigrush828 said:
stoopstroop said:

I have a Garret pin pointer, and wouldn't hunt without it...

I am seriously considering a Whites MTX Pro. This seems to have great features for coins/jewelry, relics and gold. The only thing I don't like os the 2 yr factory warranty. Seems too short to me. I have read many great things about Whites. Anyone have a reason NOT to get this MD?

Thanks for everyone's responses!

Nope. No reason at all. GREAT machine from a GREAT company. Don't let the 2yr warranty scare you off. They WILL take care of you if something goes wrong, which I highly doubt with a good machine like that. As with any machine, they can have issues and break down, but I guess my thinking is....I'd be more leary of a company offering a lifetime guarantee.....because I have that nagging question "am I going to need it??". I know, it's silly.....but that's just me. Any of the major brand name companies will take care of you, but I've always been partial to Whites. I think it's just like the Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate...and what you grew up with. Some will swear by Garretts....others Whites.....and the well-off will swear by their $5000 MineLabs! LOL!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mydejavooo said:
I think it's just like the Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate...and what you grew up with. Some will swear by Garretts....others Whites.....and the well-off will swear by their $5000 MineLabs! LOL!!

Personally I wish I owned the $5000 Minelab myself I would love to play with it........I currently own several Minelabs, there are Minelabs in your price range, buy what your comfortable with....... I have owned Whites, Tesoros, Troy and Fishers, still have my Minelabs and My Fisher 1235x...

There are several good dealers here who will guide you in the right direction, their numbers are here, call them and get their advice....

Good luck Brb828

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Invest in a Tesoro with an 8" coil and a larger coil.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Depends on what you do more of coinshooting or relic hunting. I have two different machines for those tasks. I've got an X-terra 70 for the coinshooting and a Tejon for relic hunting. Reason is, for coinshooting, where Target ID is more important than depth the X-terra is perfect. But, TID becomes iffy or non-existent when hunting for relics that are typically 8" to 12" deep (good targets can sound like iron on a digital machine and then TID becomes useless). The Tejon is perfect for that in it has a VCO mode that can tell me, by sound if the target is deep and with practice I can tell some things about the deep target from the way it beeps, where a digital machine doesn't have the nuance of sound (in my experience) that an analog machine does. I dig a lot more when I'm using the Tejon, but in an area where I expect to find CW relics I expect to dig more anyway. I've tried several digital machines for relics but I wasn't happy and just wound up coming back to a Tesoro. In fact, I would suggest getting a good Tesoro, like the Vaquero and use it a lot to get used to how trash sounds break up and good targets give a smooth beep. You could coinshoot and effectively relic hunt with just that one machine. Then if its working out for you then you could get a TID for just coinshooting or jewelry if you still wanted one with a screen, but I've found TID is real inaccurate a lot of the time because of all the variables involved. Just my 2 cents on the subject, your mileage may vary.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With a budget of $800 there are many machines that will work for you. There are many on here who will recommend what they use and it may not be exactly what you want. My best advice would be to contact someone like Mike at Woodland Detectors and explain to him what you are looking for and he will recommend a machine based on your recommendations that will best fit your needs. This is an investment into this hobby so you need to get what will work best for you.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You can't go wrong with a Teknetics G2. At 699.00 this machine delivers decent depth, and OUTSTANDING separation capabilities. The key is not always depth, it is a machines ability to be able to separate trash from the good targets. :wink:

You'll love this machine :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread