I need some help identifying these relics...

song_of_seng

Greenie
Feb 9, 2015
tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found these at a winter campsite in East Tennessee. I'm not sure what a lot of these relics are. I've just started metal detecting the area and this is what I've found so far. I need some veteran detectors to guide me through the ins and outs of the detecting world. As in, where to get information on identifying, what finds have value, etc. I go out in the field at least five days a week and really enjoy it. I guess I'm looking for like minded people to help get me where I need to be as a serious detector. Any help is appreciated. Any information on these finds would be great.

Attachments

• goldminerelics.jpg
    goldminerelics.jpg
    736.9 KB · Views: 295

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your off to a good start posting on treasurenet.
Another pretty good health for a lot of people is groups on Facebook specifically for the type detector you have there's some real specific tips and information.. I'm going to take a peek at your fine now just figured I'd write the message first

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be a lot easier on everyone I think if you picked out a couple items at a time and asked specifically for info on those but right now looking at the large group there's some things that seem like you probably obviously know what they are already.. You have railroad spikes several types of iron nails broken horse shoes the small metal pieces with the slits in it are broken harmonica reeds.. You have an old axe head in the middle by the looks of it it's quite old actually.. The broken rectangular iron pieces that resembled buckles we're probably part of some horse tack... Ect..

OP
OP
song_of_seng

song_of_seng

Greenie
Feb 9, 2015
tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to post a few finds at a time. I really enjoy getting out in the field and it's exciting to know that one day I could find something of value. My fiance wants to keep everything I have found but I'm looking for things that have significant importance to history and things that I can donate or sell to collectors. I 've heard that civil war exhibitions and events may be the place to get an idea of the value, if any, to the finds I have. What do you think? I have accumulated quite a bit of pieces but really have no idea what steps to take from here. Again, I appreciate your time and help.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Internet is a wealth of information especially when it comes to sales of items.. You could spend day after day just using search terms like Civil War artifacts and see what they are asking for them I'm not really a good source for monetary value of items I come from a standpoint where the items history to my specific area is what has value to me.. As well as other locals historical societies ect.
A little tidbit of personal advice from me would be if you're looking to make financial gains from metal detecting you're probably going to be disappointed quite often.
I would suggest starting from getting a good understanding of the history of your area.. That will lead to you being able to identify a lot of the items because you will have learned about them and how they were used.
One last thing don't throw anything away if you're not sure what it is especially if you think you're detecting in an area where some of the finds could be historically important... I actually think it's better for someone new at detecting to start off in parks in people's yards especially old houses getting good with their detecting abilities and research.. Then move on two areas with a little bit more historical value best of luck to you

Last edited:
OP
OP
song_of_seng

song_of_seng

Greenie
Feb 9, 2015
tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a piece that my fiance wants to know about. Anybody?

OP
OP
song_of_seng

song_of_seng

Greenie
Feb 9, 2015
tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
? ? ?

This is the piece I meant to upload in my last post...any ideas on what it might be?

Attachments

• scanned_20150215-2154.pdf
    837.4 KB · Views: 50

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on maybe the third time will be a charm

OP
OP
song_of_seng

song_of_seng

Greenie
Feb 9, 2015
tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've been a tremendous help. I've only been detecting for 3 months now and there's so much to learn. I, myself, come from an area (east Tennessee) where everything is steeped in history. I have so many questions and the internet seems contradictory at times. I'm thankful for reliable forums like this one. I'm not computer savvy but I'm getting better at it. Again, thank you.

OP
OP
song_of_seng

song_of_seng

Greenie
Feb 9, 2015
tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol....it's my fiance and she's just as computer illiterate as myself. Sorry

Attachments

• whatisit.jpg
    whatisit.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 143

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny it's also really cool that your fiance shows some interest.
I know some people in Tennessee some do a lot of metal detecting and find some really great civil war relics both of them find some real nice Native American artifacts my first impression of that piece was that of a bar pin that were popular in the Victorian era of the early 19 hundreds.. It looks broken does it look like there was a straight pin attached to the back at one time maybe?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They came in several different shapes here's what I pulled from the internet and a couple of mine that I found

1376519298_50_1_4586_Victorian_Bar_Pin__1_of_4_.jpg

ForumRunner_20150215_225430.png

OP
OP
song_of_seng

song_of_seng

Greenie
Feb 9, 2015
tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like a possible pin...thanks. It has holes on each side. One side is bent under a bit but not broken. Can you make out the design? Speaking of Native American artifacts, I found what looks to be an Indian axe head. I'll try to upload a picture. We'll see if I can...lol

Attachments

• indian.jpg
    indian.jpg
    643.4 KB · Views: 140
OP
OP
song_of_seng

song_of_seng

Greenie
Feb 9, 2015
tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the axe head...lol

Attachments

• IMAG0248.jpg
    IMAG0248.jpg
    725 KB · Views: 131

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what that is but it's not an axe head almost looks like it's made of pottery

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A stone axe will have a groove in it where it fit inside a hole in a large wooden handle it will also have a bit just like an axe we have today only made of stone

meuserfullgroove1.jpg

OP
OP
song_of_seng

song_of_seng

Greenie
Feb 9, 2015
tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's actually stone. I found it on a river bank in East Tennessee. I thought it resembled an indian tool of some kind. Thanks for all your help, it's been nice talking with you. Do you mind if I put you in my treasure net contacts? I hope to post more finds after tomorrow's dig. Talk to you later hopefully.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please do good luck to you I'll probably see you around on here

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread