I need some Large Cent experts here: Draped or Capped Bust?

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this LC at an old home site where I've pulled about half a dozen LCs and a half cent out of this year. This one is COMPLETELY smooth so it's going to be of no value anyway, so I ran it through my electrolysis setup this morning and pulled the tiniest amount of detail. At this site I've found braided hair type, matron head type, and one draped bust. All coins pulled from the site have been 1798 - 1864.

This coin is of either the draped bust or Liberty cap variety I think, based on the detail I can get out of the wreath on the back. I can also see the "1/" where the "1/100" should be.

Looking online at Large Cents I see there is very little difference in the reverses of the draped and cap varieties, but there's also multiple designs within each variety. I have my doubts I'll be able to tell what this is for sure, but I'm impressed that the electrolysis pulled anything out at all so I'm going to throw this out there and see what happens. I THINK I can see a "6" where the date would be, and most, if not all, details are obliterated from the front. If it is 1796, it could either be liberty cap or draped bust.

Reasons I think this is a Draped Bust
  • Found another one site in March
  • I'm not lucky enough to find something older than that.

Reasons I think it might be a Liberty Cap

• Bottom "stick" off the wreath above the left hand ribbon tail points directly at the "U" in "United" (There was a '97 reverse variety in 1896 if we assume that's what this is that has the "stick" in the same place)

I know there have to be people here familiar with the little intricacies of reverse designs on these coins that might be able to help me out. What do you all think?

Attachments

• OBV1.jpg
    OBV1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 189
  • REV1.jpg
    REV1.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Upvote 6

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
US large cent varieties are Flowing Hair,Liberty Cap,Draped Bust, Classic Head, Matron Head and Braided Hair. There is no Capped Bust variety. So you probably have a Draped Bust but hard to tell that coin is toast. Still fun to find.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
US large cent varieties are Flowing Hair,Liberty Cap,Draped Bust, Classic Head, Matron Head and Braided Hair. There is no Capped Bust variety. So you probably have a Draped Bust but hard to tell that coin is toast. Still fun to find.

Yep - you're right. Looking at too much stuff here at once. The Liberty Cap is the variety I meant.... I edited the post above but the subject is still wrong.

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like 1796, you can see the 7 in the pic and the 6 at the end.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow she is worn, still a sweet find

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A slick one!! Great save though!!!! Good luck! :icon_thumright:

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, i found one just like that a month ago, same reverse details, my obverse is a tad better, no date though, plow struck as well. N8ce find

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY BILS LET ME GET ANOTHER DRINK AND IN A FEW I WILL TELL YOU WHAT YOU HAVE . NICE FIND ...

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Jeff,

Getting any detail on that one was amazing, but I don't think you have enough there to make a positive ID :dontknow:

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah i dont think so either with all the different reverse patterns for both coins. My third 1700s coin this year though so i will take it!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,, I could spend a whole day looking at that coin and end up needing a new pair of glasses. lol
Congrats on your find

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love - LOVE - how coins of this era wore down to basically FLAT in pockets. Looks so cool, and makes it even more of a treasure when we need to ID it.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy what a smoothie. Any chance you took photos before the electrolysis? That top layer of patina often carries with it an important amount of detail. Once the patina is gone, some clues may be lost forever. I'm ashamed to admit that I've learned this the hard way. That mysterious mark (Is this anything?)on the obverse looks too sharp to be random deterioration, maybe part of a letter R or B. Good luck!

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boy what a smoothie. Any chance you took photos before the electrolysis? That top layer of patina often carries with it an important amount of detail. Once the patina is gone, some clues may be lost forever. I'm ashamed to admit that I've learned this the hard way. That mysterious mark (Is this anything?)on the obverse looks too sharp to be random deterioration, maybe part of a letter R or B. Good luck!

I have ruined a few as well....which is why i wont use peroxide anymore like a lot of people do with coppers. I also feel i ruined some in oil because it kills the detail. Wish i would have just brushed them and kept some contrast with the dirt. That mark though...cant be a letter because of the placement (the 6 is fairly obvious under good light an dis to the right of that. If anything i thought it could be part of a number...but i dont think it is).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread