I need some mechanical design help

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to run an air chisel and rotary hammer under water. I have a gast 260 air compressor for divers air, but I cannot figure out what it's capacity is and if it would have the capacity to run the hammers. The air chisels and hammer/drills require 24 cfm and 90 psi. I have a bunch of motors laying around, I don't need a big tank, but I need to cobble something together. Anyone have any ideas for me? I was looking online and new motor/air pump combos run $2k. I don't feel like spending that kind of money, especially since I have the motors, don't need the big tank, and just want to run a single hammer. Obviously, people who design that stuff don't consider carrying it on their backs. Any bootstrap guys (or gals) have any ideas?

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For years I used an air chisel under water. I just ran off my hooka. The chisels are air hogs . You should have a least 2 tanks and be prepared to hold your breath. I don't know about the rota-hammer.That just may be too much. G/L

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not use the same air for my tools and breathing. maybe switchable tanks.

OP
OP
M

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not use the same air for my tools and breathing. maybe switchable tanks.

NO way would I run the same air for breathing, as I understand the air compressors for tools may have oil in the lines. The air I am breathing is coming from my gast only.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gast will do it-install a t fitting on the air outlet at the compressor and run a reserve to you and one to the air hammer/chisel BUT the water will corrode right fast like and kill it. Get a old /new innertube ,motorcycle, and cut a bladder to fit around the tool to cover the top and leave a hole for the chisel to protrude. Retain in place with copper wire-or duct tape,whatever to keep dry as possible as escaping air will keep it dryer-not dry dry but much better. WD40 moving parts is imperative or they die. I much prefer a righteous blaster with a crevice tool but that works too. John

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can try looking at the product spec documents for gast compressors. I took a look but did not see your 260 model~ need the whole part number. Technical Documents - Gast

Depending on how many cfm it pushes and at what pressure you may be able to rig a couple of tanks and charge them for use with the hammer and chisel. If you have high output motors you'd be best off rigging them to the tanks. You probably know this but I'll say it anyway~ use a good regulator for the tanks. My thoughts.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The air I was breathing was not contaminated with oil . It came directly from my compressor [Hooka] ,T'd off. 1 line went to the tool the other to the mouthpiece. If I had been breathing contaminated air my old Valley Fever scarred lungs would have failed me for sure.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
make sure you have PLENTY of air storage! and a check valve between the air chisels tand and your compressor to prevent and back filling of your air breathing tank. plus youll need a pressure regulator or a pop off vavle for your air chisels tank to get enough PSI to run the chisel. and like John says , "WD-40 the beans out of the chisel after use"!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
make sure you have PLENTY of air storage! and a check valve between the air chisels tand and your compressor to prevent and back filling of your air breathing tank. plus youll need a pressure regulator or a pop off vavle for your air chisels tank to get enough PSI to run the chisel. and like John says , "WD-40 the beans out of the chisel after use"!

I use tool oil and 'blow it" through the tool.

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use an ingersall rand Honda powered compresser to run airtools when I need them. they supply 9 ish cfm at 90psi which is enough to run an airchisel. tractor supply sells them brand new for $850-900. you can find some cheaper ones at homedepot but they don't last as long.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're going to need the large air tank for reserve. Tools go through a lot of air and you either have a large reserve tank or you stop after a minute or 2 with no air and then wait 5 minutes for the pressure to build back up before you continue.

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yeah I forgot to put that detail in my post, the compressor runs into a 40ish gallon volume tank and the tools feed off that

lbd

Oct 4, 2017
NZ and Laos
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If anyone is still interested in this thread....Use two tanks and a priority ualve used on truck braking systems... or from your pneumatics supplier.. air fills up your primary breathing air tank until full.... only then will surplus/overflow go to the second tank for your air tools when you have more than enough to breath on....

If breathing air pressure drops... air supply to the air tools tank stops.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used a CO2 tank for many years with my nail guns...probable blow thru alot of tanks with an air chisel tho.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread