I need to be cheered up.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
No. (Sorry)

Actually, it's not a terrible price. Just not a great one either.

I woldn't pay that much. Someone here was just talking about how they found a bunch for $0.25 each at a pawn shop. THAT was a great price. :-) Others said that they paid up to $1 each, which would be $40 for yours, so you did well compared to that.

I think about 10 - 12X face is a good price. Not full price retail, and something that you can be happy with. Might be tough to FIND, as people want more right now, but for me I'd probably stop at about 10X face. So if I bought a roll of $2, that's $20 I'd pay. Net.

I think you overspent, but that is my OPINION. PLus finding them in rolls at $0.05 each makes it SOOO much more rewarding anyway. But if they make you happy, or you intend to keep them as a colelctible, then you did fine. :-) And if you can sell them for $1 a piece, then you are making a profit.

kurtma12

Apr 19, 2009
Georgia
I don't know, not a great deal, but not bad at all. 40 nickels with $0.9773 silver value each (per coinflation.com) is $39.092

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Jake,
I've made mistakes buying highly priced coins in the past. So I'm going to let you in on a little secret that will surely cheer you up, but you have to keep this info confidential.
I know where you can get war nickels at $2.00 a roll with no shipping charge. I know this sounds like an outrageous deal, but it is true.
Here is where
Go down to your local bank and buy a box of nickels, or buy some handrolls, or a bag if available and start searching. It may take a while to find a roll, but if you are persistant they are out there,and you will find them. At five cents apiece.

Good luck,

Rich

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Generally the lower the silver content, the less you will get on resale unless you sell to a private buyer who is interested in war nickels.

The last year or so has been somewhat rare in that junk silver (90 percent on down) has been selling for over spot due to demand.

In recent weeks that premium has been dissolving as the price of silver has gone up. I would avoid buying anything less than 90 percent for investment purposes. I personally do not buy anything other than .999 silver these days, although I used to buy 90 percent when it was cheaper (premium wise).

Jim

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
If you like them, that's all that counts.
Be happy, don't worry!

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
"Not bad, still got'em under spot, I don't have much affinity for the WN's"

Iya afinaty two a WN ina box.

Ricardo

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Just think if silver keeps going up which it will they will someday be worth much more than you paid. For the future though go and find em yourself CRHing 5 cents a piece you can't beat that except for finding it on the ground.

Golden Silver

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Rich Hartford said:
Jake,
I've made mistakes buying highly priced coins in the past. So I'm going to let you in on a little secret that will surely cheer you up, but you have to keep this info confidential.
I know where you can get war nickels at $2.00 a roll with no shipping charge. I know this sounds like an outrageous deal, but it is true.
Here is where
Go down to your local bank and buy a box of nickels, or buy some handrolls, or a bag if available and start searching. It may take a while to find a roll, but if you are persistant they are out there,and you will find them. At five cents apiece.

Good luck,

Rich

Yeup! Myself have bought soooo much Silver, wish knew of CRH'in back then cause as it is now I've no intention or even thought of buying Silver, well Silver for any more than face value anyway!

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
Jake,
Here is where

Good luck,

Rich

Yep, found 18 of them in the past 2 months. Only 22 more for a full roll!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, :hello:

What condition are they in, do you have any key dates ? :icon_scratch: If the condition is BU (Brilliant Uncirculated) MS 64+ (Mint State 64+) Otherwise perfect condition. Yea that's a good deal.... :headbang: If they are worn and gray then they are not worth that much. :dontknow: Buying online is a bad way to buy coins, you can't hold the coin in your hand and look at it up close. I mean you can shop careful. By buying graded coins or making sure you have a trusted seller with good pictures. A local coin shop or pawn shop you can see what your buying hold it, look at it careful even smell it if you like.... :icon_scratch:

If they are BU then you can make your money back having a few graded and selling them as BU. :headbang:

Keep @ It and HH!! ;D :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread