I officially went metal detecting!

american_girl

Sep 14, 2008
Hi! Though I haven't purchased a metal detector, my dad was very nice and rented one for me! It's a White's coinmaster classic II. My dad rented it because he knew I was interested in metal detecting, and he was also curious to what I might find on our new property in Missouri. First I tested it out here in my front lawn. I found two dimes, a christmas light stake, and some other little tin thing. It was so cool!!! When those coins came out of the ground, I was so thrilled! ;D

Then we went to MO... While walking around our property I found an arrowhead shaped rock, picked it up, and upon further examination thought that it might be an indian spearhead!! It was rather large and made of flint, it had sharp edges on both sides and a square notch in the back, but didn't look quite finished. I was so excited about finding that (even though it wasn't metal). ;)
There was once a county road on our property, and I was planning on detecting there. But before that I found some old fashioned pull-tabs. My dad was just walking around and he yelled at me to come over to where he was. "You're going to want to come over here!" He had found a couple of old Pepsi-Cola bottles near a hollowed-out old tree. I scrambled up there and just found a few more old-fashioned pull tabs, sadly, no bottle caps. Then I found a broken Pepsi-Cola bottle, :( and then a beautiful intact one! :D The total came to 4 unbroken Pepsi-Cola bottles. I detected the area thoroughly, hoping whoever drank that pepsi dropped some money. ;) No luck.

I then proceeded to the county road. I had it set to the ring/coin range, and my very wise father told me to set it to all metal mode, to find old relics. I did, and shortly after I got a large signal near the side of the old road. It took a while to dig, and at one point my father said "Sounds like it's moving." I hit something, and pulled it out. It was part of an old horse/mule shoe!!! Someone had ridden horses on that road! That was cool! :)
A few feet away I saw something half covered by leaves, it was a MO truck license plate dated 1987. After cleaning it's nice enough to go on my wall!

Later I discovered that the locals enjoy Milwaukee's best, Busch, Budweiser, Sprite and Dr. Pepper.

I started tinkering with the settings, and turned the discrimination way up! I got a strong signal and started digging. My brother was excited and thought we had stumbled upon a chest of silver coins! ::) I tried not to get my hopes up. I dug hoping it might be silver dollar. 7 inches. Bam!

A large Budweiser can! ;D

How a beer can got that deep, I have no idea.

This was my last day with the detector. :'( So I decided to hit the local park. There were a ton of kids there! I was there for less than an hour but found several pennies and a nickel in one area. Not to mention pull-tabs and bottle caps. ;)

All in all, detecting has been a blast! Can't wait to see what else I might find. :thumbsup:

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
keep at it and you wont believe what you find buried in the ground! :thumbsup:

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
With your enthusiasm and attitude,you'll do great,girl.Keep at it and the really cool items will start to appear.Goodluck in your hunting.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is how we all started just wanting to find out what is down there. It is fun no matter what we find. Nice job. :thumbsup:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I sooo agree with Ray....you are hooked now...may as well start saving up for your own detector! ;D ;D

jgowans

Sep 19, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
johnnycat said:
Sandman said:
This is how we all started just wanting to find out what is down there. It is fun no matter what we find. Nice job. :thumbsup:

Isn't that the truth!!

I still get excited over a nice solid signal. Even if it is iron.
Good luck and Happy Hunting.
Keep us posted on your finds.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Sandman said:

Pretty much sums it up!

T

trish76642

There are buried treasures every where you look! I'm always looking as im driving, wondering "hm, wonder whats buried there?"

Look at the trees, how they were planted, if its and old home sight, you'll be able to tell by how the trees are almost perfectly planted. Out on my father in laws land, where i go detecting, there used to be and old home sight, but as your driving throught the gate on the left there are 4 perfectly planted trees and i've always thought there has to have been something there before, well while i was detecting out there one day around those trees, about 5 inches down i found an old brick side walk going right between those trees. I told my father in law about what i had found, he had no idea his land had 2 old homesights on it.

Look at the trees, see how they are planted, or in the spring if you see flowers growing where there is no house, big possibility there may have been one there before.

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
You're a natural treasure hunter! Keep at it!!!!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Sounds like you had fun. It's so exciting when first starting out. Congratulations on digging your first beer can at 7 inches! ;D :D :D Typically they get there from bulldozers moving dirt or fill being brought in.

Maybe you can ask for a detector for Christmas. :icon_sunny:

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread