I purchased a whites metal detector today with a wooden coil!

pistol perfect

Feb 7, 2008
southern california
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug pro

Attachments

• securhhhhhhhhhhh.jpg
    securhhhhhhhhhhh.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 985
  • gggggggggg.jpg
    gggggggggg.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 338
Upvote 0

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was just talk about them on a Calif forum

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
It is a factory made coil that was standard on that detector. I cannot tell you the exact date as I do not know off hand when Whites switched to plastic coils but is 60's vintage. Have several older Whites with wood coils. Have a variety of sizes. One is large. It's either 18 or 24 in. I do not recall without looking at it. Does it have tubes?

It is not worth much as there are not many people who collect old detectors (like I do). And it is a common model. More of a converstaion piece. I have a later model of that one with a plastic coil. If you go on the Whites website you can download a manual for it. They have manuals for every detector they made. Even those they made under different names.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Wooden coils are not unusual for the very early machines. Wooden coils were standard issue on most of the early Fisher metal detectors in the 1930's through the 1950's.
Heck just the switch on it screams 50s to 60s. Dang thing looks like a 50 cal ammo box lol

BC500

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a Coinmaster Precious, which I believe is a version of the Coinmaster II. I found mine at a garage sale a few months ago and had to have it out of curiosity. The owner was well into his 80s and said it worked great when he bought it around 1965. I've traced it to about 1968. Mine still works, although I don't know how well. I have no standard to go by. It uses two 9-volts, and one connection is not making consistent contact. Have to do some tinkering someday. I found one on eBay a few weeks ago, and I believe they wanted $100+ for it. Doubt if I will use it, but it makes a great converstaion piece mounted on my rec room wall.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As old as it is , it looks to be in great shape ! That should only get better with time - there can't be too many of those still out there in that condition !!!

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a metal detector shop in Oklahoma City (unsure if saying the name would constitute an advertisement and violate rules) that has a detector with a large wooden coil. I haven't seen it out of the display case but it appears as if the coil winding is affixed to the wood coil inside a groove.

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
Portland, Oregon/ I travel
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
V3i xlt dfx gmt mxt f75 Exp SE ace 150 Umax etrac goldmaster coinmaster Cz-5 Cz-3D Goldengate 3D BH 300 ctx 3030 jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously used for the rare wooden nickel----???

Thats a good one!

These are not common but they are not too rare. Whites museum actually has several models exactly like this displayed in Sweet Home oregon. Molding plastic was difficult and costly back them so wood was the next best substitute.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions