I ran my new old school pan today.

Gold Rover

Feb 19, 2014
Western Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've not been on the site for awhile due to life getting in the way of prospecting for the past year. The Rover went down late in the summer, keeping me from getting into the good places and other things conspired to keep me out of the water. But today, during a January thaw here in Colorado, I took my new metal pan down to the river just to get some panning time and to test it against my Estwing plastic pan.

I loved everything about the metal pan except being able to see the fine gold, which is all there is near me. Working the metal pan was fast and efficient. I realize that the riffles in the modern pans have there plus side, but I really like the smooth pan a lot. I ended up panning to black sand in the metal pan, then finishing in the black plastic pan. The metal pan really gives you a good indicator of your panning technique.

I found a few flakes like I always do in this spot, so I guess that I wasn't dumping color back into the water.:happysmiley:

At the end of the season I came into some decent gold outside of Leadville, so I'm fidgeting for the thaw and a chance to get my sluices up and running there.

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425736295.384073.jpg received this pan as a thank you gift recently from a guy I helped out. 12" steel but it'll never see the creek of course ;) It's going on the wall at my mountain place [emoji2]

dashriprock

Jan 18, 2014
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster Vsat
Tesoro Diablo Umaxx
Garrett CXIII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a great looking pan Kevin! To receive it as a gift is pretty darn nice.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I let my steel pans get nice and rusty. The fines stick to it like nothing.

Bluestar9

Feb 21, 2015
The Great State of Jefferson
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One of the great things about the steel pans is you can put Neodymium disc magnets on the bottom or edge towards you, they grab the magnetics like crazy & get them out of the way.
They're cheap. Give it a try.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the great things about the steel pans is you can put Neodymium disc magnets on the bottom or edge towards you, they grab the magnetics like crazy & get them out of the way.
They're cheap. Give it a try.
Would you drop all your magnetics off the magnet into a bag and ship them to me?...:laughing7:

OP
OP
Gold Rover

Gold Rover

Feb 19, 2014
Western Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I let my steel pans get nice and rusty. The fines stick to it like nothing.
Mine is turning out that way. I never get it dry soon enough, or I forget to altogether. I use my metal pan quite a bit now. I was testing a new fluid bed the other day and forgot a shovel. The metal pan scooped enough to keep do the job.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
It'll cost you a whole bunch of BJ's ice cream from Florence. :occasion14:
LOL..... how much and what flavor?....:laughing7:
And what part of the fine state of Jefferson do you hail from?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread