Silver Wendigo

Greenie
Dec 29, 2015
Missouri City, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today was my first time testing out the metal detector that I just got for myself for Christmas this year, since I've always wanted one but didn't have the money until recently. Yeah, I know. It's a Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200. It's cheap. But as today's finds show, it's at least proven that it works.
I went into my backyard this morning and started swinging the coil around. Practically every step was a beep for iron, about 6-9 in. underground. It took me a while to figure out that it was probably picking up the iron rebar underneath the cement and pool that we own. So I moved into the grass, and was completely clueless as to how to go about actually finding the target once you've dug a hole. Plus the grass roots were hard to dig through and I was starting to make a mess.
So I moved into the dirt around the bushes underneath our house's windows. Picked up an iron signal only 3 in. down. Started digging and found nothing again. At this point I was ready to call it quits I was so frustrated. I pulled out the pinpointer that came with the metal detector and started waving it around inside the hole, and received not the slightest signal. I saw a worm, and by fate or luck, the pinpointer gave a loud beep when I put it up next to the worm. Obviously worms aren't made of metal, so I dug around that side of the hole with my trowel and found a small rusty nail. Somehow, just finding something for a change rejuvenated my drive to continue. Staying around the window areas, I unearthed a total of 10 nails. Add 2 drill bits, a pull tab, and a piece of rebar and I'm a happy hunter. I know that it is basically junk, but at least it's something, right?
Any tips on how to detect better and easier would be appreciated, since I am a complete newbie to this.
IMG_3060.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 4

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
seems like you got the hang of it and you are finding metal.

just wondering though, how were you planning to dig through concrete?

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best advice I can give you is to not get too discouraged and never give up. The good stuff will come but it doesn't come every time.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WELCOME NEW MEMBER AND MAY YU REAP MANY BEAUTIFUL FINDS , ONCE BITTEN FROM DETECTING THERE IS NO CURE ...

OP
OP
Silver Wendigo

Silver Wendigo

Greenie
Dec 29, 2015
Missouri City, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, worded that wrong! What I meant was that I was getting signals everywhere and thought that maybe the detector was broken or had to be tuned if it gave a signal for every place I swung it over. Of course, it didn't give a signal for everything, and was not broken. The object was not the problem, the user was. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread