I said before I usually do well with Cameras...

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• contax.jpg
    contax.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 504

drbecker

Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked up your auction and there were 2 Zeiss lens and 2 Contact cameras. I bet it would have brought $1000 some of the Zeiss lens are selling for $500 each. Still a really quick profit for you and you never know what it would have done without a BIN.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man, no such thing as asking too little, as long as you turn a nice profit, not when you're selling second hand anyway.
Actually there is such a thing. You should always try to get top dollar for any item your selling, secondhand or not. Regardless of what I pay for something, if I am unsure of it's value, I will never list it with a BIN. It doesn't make any sense to. Just because I paid a dollar for something doesn't mean I should be happy with $50 if it's worth $500.

Last edited:

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collect old cameras, and a Contax full system like that will definately go into four figures. Whoever got it for five has a real big smile on his face.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Good Score! I'm always on the lookout for camera items too. While back I bought two boxes of cameras and lens at auction for $10. Well over $1000 in sales so far. I was more surprised that no one else bid on them. Passed on two additional boxes, just had too much stuff. :(

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my mottos is to never look back. I am looking sideways on this one now... When I looked at the prices of the camers and the lenses, I figured I could piece them out at about $700. Doing a quick buy it now saved me a lot of time. I guess I am going to stay away from BIN for now, but I can't help but have a smile on my face on this one.

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One caution for those who don't know cameras and are following this thread, is that cameras are just like any other collectable; there are some models, like the Contax, which can have an awesome resale, but there are a lot with very little resale. The same system, but Argus, would not have resaled for even the $75 that was paid for this system. That being said, it is my contention, that in the long run, these old mechanical cameras would be a good investment.

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my mottos is to never look back. I am looking sideways on this one now... When I looked at the prices of the camers and the lenses, I figured I could piece them out at about $700. Doing a quick buy it now saved me a lot of time. I guess I am going to stay away from BIN for now, but I can't help but have a smile on my face on this one.

You still made a good profit, we live and learn... I've done the same thing with other items many times..

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I had a Time magazine from the 20's up on eBay for $5. It was Walter Chrysler as Man of the Year. Somebody inquired about a B.I.N. price. I think I put it up for $35 buy it now and sent the guy an email. The item sold moments later. There were no "Watchers". The guy wrote back that somebody else snatched it up before he could, and did I have another? That seriously changed my thinking about BIN.

Last edited:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
I had a Time magazine from the 20's up on eBay for $5. It was Walter Chrysler as Man of the Year. Somebody inquired about a B.I.N. price. I think I put it up for $35 buy it now and sent the guy an email. The item sold moments later. There were no "Watchers". The guy wrote back that somebody else snatched it up before he could, and did I have another? That seriously changed my thinking about BIN.
I have learned if someone is wants a buy it now price you have a good item an never should give bin let the auction run it's course..

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have learned if someone is wants a buy it now price you have a good item an never should give bin let the auction run it's course..

That is so true. I had junk drawer auction had a buyer contact me and offered $25 and I thought about it and dicided to stay auction. Final price was just a little over $100 I do not know what drove the price that high but had I did a BIN I would have lost.

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I can only think of 2 or 3 times when I've been contacted with a price that the item did not go for substantially above the price offered. Now, when someone makes an offer, I generally say, that is a very generous bid, You could win with that one. Thanks for getting in touch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread