I scored a stack of 60s 45 records! I could use some advice...

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I scored a stack of 60's 45 records! I could use some advice...

I was working a TS yesterday, and a woman was looking at a record album of 45's.

"Wow!!! Where did you find that?" I asked, as she was thumbing through the Beatles section of this album.

"Over there. I got it for my friend" she replied.

"I know that you'll want to keep it, but if you decide you don't, let me know. I love old vinyl" I said.

"Here. You can have it. My friend only wants 78's" she said, as my jaw hit the floor.

I thanked her profusely, and we chatted for a few minutes. I was thrilled to get it. I figured that they would be run of the mill copies with significant wear.

Now, mind you, I've been attending auctions for 30 years, and am drawn to old vinyl, but I do NOT consider myself a record guy. 99% of all the records that I buy have little value, and most of the time, they are damaged or scratched. It turns out, to my surprise, that these 45's are in SUPER clean condition.

I've never found such clean vinyl in my life. I am still in a little awe of how nice they are.

Generally speaking, I've have been extremely gun-shy when it comes to listing vinyl on ebay. The last thing I need is some audiophile leaving me a neg because of a scratch that can only be seen with a microscope.

I hate grading stuff. My idea of a C-9 Lionel train may be way different than your idea of C-9, even though there are strict guidelines to follow.

I believe that most of what I have is VG++, from what I've read.

Do you have suggestions about grading?

Also, what is the best way to ship 45's? Specific instructions would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do know that 45's have more value if they still have their pictorial sleeves. As far as shipping I would look for some thin cardboard boxes and try to stay away from envelopes with padding and inserted cardboard. Those mailmen can be rough.

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to see how you end up packaging these if you get a chance.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I would like to see how you end up packaging these if you get a chance.

I would love to know myself.

The last record that I shipped, a 78 with a very unusual title, arrived shattered, or so said the buyer.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I do know that 45's have more value if they still have their pictorial sleeves. As far as shipping I would look for some thin cardboard boxes and try to stay away from envelopes with padding and inserted cardboard. Those mailmen can be rough.

I wish that I had picture sleeves for some of the singles that I have. I'd be taking a nice vacation this fall!!!!!!!

I did buy several picture sleeves for different records than what I talked about in my OP, but I highly doubt that these sleeves are worth much. They are not popular artists or songs.

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hy Guys,

I am an eBay Power Seller and I sell many 45rpm & 33LP vinyls. The following is a link to the book-fold boxes I use for 45s. They also have them for the 33lp albums. I hope this helps.

50 45 RPM Mailer Record Album Vinyl Bookfold Boxes | eBay

Note: This guy is way out of line with his S&H Charges. You can find better deals at this vendor:

bubblefast | eBay

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always ship 78 records in an eight cube box flat packed. You just slide the record in and tape the edges. Sometimes I use some spare cardboard in the middle for extra support and protection. For 48, you could probably use a 6 cube box. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you for the replies!!!

Does anyone else have suggestions on how to ship these records?

Thanks!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread