I seriously just found this today!!!!!!!

Kk77

May 7, 2014
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this amazing piece of history by an old tree!! image.jpg image.jpg

Now here is an unusual piece of political memorabilia, the bronze "Toilet Seat" or "Washroom Warrior" medal commemorating a social affair at Sands Point, Long Island, NY on August 26, 1933. In attendance was Huey "Kingfish" Long, the Governor of Louisiana. Long was known for his excessive drinking, and this day was no exception. After annoying many with his obnoxious behavior, he stumbled into the bathroom. There are several accounts about what happened next. One such story tells of a missed shot into a urinal that landed on the pant leg of another man. The man punched him in the eye. To this day, the identity of this "hero" is unknown.

A journalist from Collier's Magazine jokingly penned an article suggesting that for an act of public service, donations should be collected to issue a gold medal award to the anonoymous assailant. Over $1,000 was raised...a tidy sum in the day. One gold medal and several bronze medals were issued.
The front of this medal has a clenched fist punching a fish. There is a crown flying off of the head of the fish. In the background are bathroom faucets. Also the number 33 in Roman Numerals. Below are the words: Public Consilio Pro Re In Camera Gesta. The reverse has the translation in English: By Public Acclaim For A Deed Done In Private. Below this reads: Sands Point August 26, 1933. Also, the name of the manufacturer Medallic Art Co New York.

Upvote 32

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find, by the way I am from LA as well. Congratulations

Savehistory

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An ardent critic of the privately owned "federal" reserve banking corporation, Senator Huey Long was assassinated two years after the alleged urinal incident.

With millions of hardcore followers and a radio listening audience reaching over 25 million people, Senator Long was a worthy contender for the 1936 presidential bid against banker puppet FDR.

His last words after being gunned down at the age of 42 were, "God, don't let me die. I have so much to do."

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is funny.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kk 77,
A great find and story.
Here's another version (also funny) of what happened:

"Later in the evening, Long reappeared holding a napkin over his bleeding left eye. Huey spun a tale of being assaulted in the bathroom by two to 10 or more assailants who landed as many as 20 blows." "Careful reconstruction of events suggests that the hard-drinking senator sought the men's room during the fateful party. Unwilling to wait as an earlier occupant who monopolized the small facility, Long tried to share it with him. His somewhat shaky condition resulted in a drenching for the unsuspecting man, who then turned and indignantly clobbered the inebriated Kingfish."

"The original gold medal was donated to the American Numismatic Society in New York. "The company still displayed the original plasticine model nearly 50 years later in a public restroom of its Danbury, Conn, headquarters." Source: http://coinbooks.org/esylum_v04n32a15.html
Don

Magooru

Aug 13, 2013
Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett GTI 2000 (sold), White's XLT(sold), Garrett AT Pro, Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a cool find with great American history associated with it. I'm voting banner.

Last edited:

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great find. I saw one of the gold ones at the presbyter in Jackson square.

Digger_Dude

Dec 31, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster GT, Garrett Ace 150, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thats very interesting

Savehistory

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A piece of political propaganda I say.

I believe the story to be fabricated in an attempt to demonize an anti-central banker presidential candidate with a massive following. Plan A didn't work as planned and so he was shot in the stomach a few times with a pistol which eventually bled him dry. A year later, the honorable banker puppet FDR continued business as usual under a new term leading us out of the banker created depression and marching us straight into the hellfire of WW2.

Good ol' HISstory

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread