I SHOULD RECEIVE THE ACE 250PRO NEXT WEEK MDing IN PUERTO RICO...

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Puerto Rico has nice beaches and plenty of good dry sand. Your Ace 250 should be able to handle dry sand just fine. Anytime you hunt the beaches, unless you expect washed up stuff) you need to hunt where the people are. In the case of Puerto Rico it would be the places where te people with the money are. Typically the resort areas. Last time I was there, the local beaches were pretty much open but the tourist resorts had guards to keep people from coming into the resort beach and using the facilities unless you were a guest. You can walk the beach all you want but you just can't stop. They will tell you to move along.

My suggestion is to find the beaches where the resorts and tourists are and metal detect there when no one is using the beach. That could be at night or VERY early in the morning. You probably won't get hassled during these times.

The next choice would be the public beaches close to the cities. Lot's of activity and probably lot's of lost change and some jewelry. Problem with these beaches is that people get ready to go to the beach which many times means removing all their nice jewelry and stuff before they go. At the resorts, they go from dinner to a walk of the beach and walk around with all their stuff.

No matter where you go, there will be stuff on the beach. Most of it crape but enough interesting stuff to keep you going.

How bad can it be. You're on the beach in Puerto Rico and the rest of us are sitting in our living room typing this stuff.

Daryl

Foose

Apr 12, 2007
Fayetteville, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 & Garrett Ace 250
I agree with the Professor. You definately need to hunt the beaches where people have been that day. Most resorts set up chairs for the guests during the day then move them at night. This is a great place to hunt. To me, the best time to hunt is at night. I just got back from vacation at the beach and hunted every night after the kiddies went to sleep. I would go out about 10:00 - 11:00 and stay out a couple hours. It was very peaceful and nobody bothered me. I didn't even take a digging tool, i just used my hands because the sand was so soft. I carried a flashlight to look at my screen to determine what I was targeting and to look in the hole with. Since you are new (I am too) this is a fantastic way to learn your detector as well. Within two hunts you should recognize what the different tones mean and will probably guess what you hit before you even look at your screen.

GOOD LUCK and have fun!!

OP
OP
I

islaverde

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2007

I asked the local police at the beach about MD in this private beach close to 5 star resorts plus over a mile long of condo buildings. He said there is no law against it.
I noticed that at 6:30 am every day a guy cleans the beach with a large rake attached to the tractor. Is it best to go in the evening before the tractor? or...

Late at night I'm a chichen... althow would be nice... it's deserted

Thank you guys for your responses that helps a lot!

Take care until next time

Bruno

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
You'll find that most beaches are public which means you can walk on them. It gets a little sticky when there is a resort involved. Many times they have "improvement" on the beach and only guests can use them. That involves, many times, chairs, benches, tiki huts, volleyball courts, etc. So you can walk on the beach, in the water, etc, but you can't sit down, stop too long, etc. or the guards (if they have them and most resorts do) will ask you to keep moving. They can't throw you off the beach as access is public. They just hassle you enough to get you off the property.

It depends on what kind of machine they use on the beach. Most times, the machine grooms the sand by raking the sand or using sort of a roto-tiller thing. The guys that run these things aren't stupid. They know that tourist leave stuff on the beach. Many times they modify the machine by putting a sort of "catch basket" under the machine. All the sand has to pass through the basket and it will catch anything larger than 1/4 to 1/2" Whatever size mesh screen they put in there. So if they are grooming the resort beaches, you can almost bet the guys have modified the machines to catch the good stuff.

That means you need to detect between the time the people leave and when the groomers arrive. And you only have one shot at it before the groomers get it.

Watch the groomers one day. Maybe they don't go everywhere. That would make some spots better than others.

It may be at night. Have fun and be safe. Jellyfish are no fun.

Daryl

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go into the most expensive looking hotel on the beach you can find. Ask the Concierge if he can reccomend a place to metal detect. Act like you are a customer, ask him to point you in the right direction. These guys are there to help and usually don,t ask if you are a customer, there job is service. My friend at work tells me the hotels where he worked in P.R. don,t get hunted much so they should be ripe. Also talk to a policeman if you see one. If the guy who would arrest you does not mind I would go for it. I am sure there have be others there before just not a lot.

Good luck.

Ed D.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Just remember that if it is one of those "all inclusive" resorts, every guest has a wrist band that identifies them as a guest.

Daryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread