I should stick to coin shooting

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030, XP Deus, Gold Bug 2, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just spent 6 days out in AZ. San Domingo wash area and the rich hill area. Found lots of lead, wire, rivets, and lots of boot nails, some at very impressive depths. Stopped at Loy's in Stanton and bought a smaller 8" commander mono to get around in those rocks, and bought a 1/2 gram nugget to test my machine. Nothing but excersize and 2500 miles on the pickup.

Upvote 0

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, don't mean to step in on this thread, but I have a question that perhaps might be relevant here.

I have a number of books I purchased back years ago on nugget shooting, that mostly cover the desert Southwest including Arizona and southern California. One in particular by Pieter Heydelaar (Successful Nugget Hunting Vol. I), written in 1991, lists many locations. He also wrote a Part III which exclusively deals with the above-mentioned locations.

Of course these books contain important techniques and discussions on geology which are always important, but should one consider the locations worked out by now? OK, so there may be a stray "gram-mer" here and there, as it's impossible to completely clean out a location, but are the days described in these books where desert nuggets were reasonably plentiful (using old VLF technology to boot) considered over? The photos in these books are nothing short of astonishing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread