🥇 BANNER I STILL CANT BELIEVE IT-! chain-cent 1793.

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this on saturday at a stone foundation near a old well opening in the woods. when i dug it it looked kinda fat.(thick) and on sunday got around to cleaning it up and this is it-! man its like hitting the lottery-!!. all the large cents i found over the years never thought i find one of these.

Attachments

• Picture 152.jpg
    Picture 152.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 11,102
Upvote 4

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1793 chain cent preview.

Absolutely TREMENDOUS!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :o

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
that is totaly awesome congrats. im not gonna bother posting my couple wheat cents today it just doent seem worthy after looking at that breath taking find. you are the man . willy.

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
:o :o :o :o

]asibgmpak;tl'hbma; P?Rtob

Sorry, that was my forehead hitting the keyboard as I fainted!! Great find indeed. BANNER! BANNER! BANNER! BANNER! :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, now that it is cleaned, back in September when you first posted this nice coin I thought it was a Sheldon 3 variety, commonest of the chain cent and now that I have seen it cleaned I still say it is a Sheldon 3 variety, AMERICA , not a AMERI. variety at all.

I had trouble with the date spacings, but in the Breen book, with the details it says to look at, unfortunately are not showing, that is the LIBERTY spacing, however the Sheldon 3 has something the other varieties do not, that is a relatively straight bust line. Yours has the relatively straight bust line, all the other varieties have more curvature. The spacing of the date is correct for a Sheldon 3 and the reverse side, the AMERICA, the ICA are visible.

Still a great find and sure would be happy with one like that.

Don

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It cleaned up better that I thought it would have. The date is beautiful. Just a fantastic find. Truly a once in a lifetime! Congrats!

OP
OP
J

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jfx55 said:
found this on saturday at a stone foundation near a old well opening in the woods. when i dug it it looked kinda fat.(thick) and on sunday got around to cleaning it up and this is it-! man its like hitting the lottery-!!. all the large cents i found over the years never thought i find one of these.
today 1-15-09 had a offer of $4500.00 for this coin. think i should sell or keep it in the bank??

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jfx55 said:
jfx55 said:
today 1-15-09 had a offer of $4500.00 for this coin. think i should sell or keep it in the bank??

Depends...if you collect coins and enjoy having it then keep it but if not then sell it and do something you enjoy with the money. My 2 cents....

NJ

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be tempted to sell...you could buy a new detector and have some serious cash left over to enjoy! Maybe find another one!!!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, incredible find. This is the first I've seen this post. Cleaned up nice. :thumbsup: As far as selling goes, if you got some money in the back and are sure of job security I'd hold onto it otherwise the cash might come in handy. Congrats on a valuable find, both financially and historically.

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
jfx55 said:
From the response I guess that must be one rare coin, well done :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
if it was me I wouldn't sell it but this is going rate this off the The PCGS Price Guide whatever you decide good luck!
AG3 G4 VG8
Flowing Hair Large Cent - Type 1, Chain Cent (1793-1796) BN 4,750 7,500 11,000

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread