I.T.A.R.P. FINDS

mad.co.walker

Oct 28, 2010
madison county illinois
There was a major campsite discovery south of Jerseyville Illlinois this year because of the new interstate being built and i read that the ILLINOIS TRANSPORTATION ARCHAEOLOGY RESEARCH PROGRAM took over the site to do excavation research which is a norm in illinois when artifacts are found. My question is what do they do with the artifacts they find? Just bored here at work and trying to passon some questions .Anyone familiar with ITARP ?

Upvote 0

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never heard of them but I would guess they sell them to collectors to fund projects that go over budget :laughing7: or possibly over budgeted office partys, and business trips.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not familiar with ITARP however the archy process would be to test dig, isolate, grid out, then take out layer upon layer and mark the levels(Stratus) for carbon dating. Photograph, GPS, and then remove the artifact and catalogue. Then whatever place funded the dig will then receive the artifacts for study and display. This is what i know of the archy process. Hope this helps............................................GTP

Michael Karr

Dec 2, 2006
If it's dug by the state they'll take the stuff and it will go in to the musuem.If they dont want it it will be donated to a University,,,,,,,,,,Mike

OP
OP
M

mad.co.walker

Oct 28, 2010
madison county illinois
Get-the-point said:
I'm not familiar with ITARP however the archy process would be to test dig, isolate, grid out, then take out layer upon layer and mark the levels(Stratus) for carbon dating. Photograph, GPS, and then remove the artifact and catalogue. Then whatever place funded the dig will then receive the artifacts for study and display. This is what i know of the archy process. Hope this helps............................................GTP
THANKS. i found out that they sometimes send them to the university of illinois. then just file them away.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
[/quote] i found out that they sometimes send them to the university of illinois. then just file them away.
[/quote]

:icon_scratch: I guess I was wrong. :laughing7:

OP
OP
M

mad.co.walker

Oct 28, 2010
madison county illinois
i found out that they sometimes send them to the university of illinois. then just file them away.
[/quote]

[/quote]im sure alot of them get filed away in their pockets too !!!!!!!!!! :tongue3:

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mad.co.walker said:
i found out that they sometimes send them to the university of illinois. then just file them away.

[/quote]im sure alot of them get filed away in their pockets too !!!!!!!!!! :tongue3:
[/quote]

No doubt!!! I spoke with Herbert Kraft while he was alive and he had one of the most amazing collections from all over New Jersey. How did he get them??? Another one is Dr. Gramly, how do you think he got his collection. They use there PHD to get the good stuff in there private collections................................................JMO...........but I think I'm right.....................GTP :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread