l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All ‘83s are zinc. It’s the ‘82s you have to weigh. ‘82s can be solid copper or zinc.
Some 1983's struck on leftover copper planchets have been found. This one definitely needs to be looked into further.

OP
OP
J

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some 1983's struck on leftover copper planchets have been found. This one definitely needs to be looked into further.
This is also what i'm hoping for. Currently navigating through the murky PCGS membership & submission form process.

meetyathere

Jan 20, 2024
All joking aside. This was in the copper bucket. A good reminder to anyone hoarding copper cents - Always weigh your 1983's cents. Just hope it's real.

Some of this
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 25

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All ‘83s are zinc. It’s the ‘82s you have to weigh. ‘82s can be solid copper or zinc.
A little trick I learned, as long as you're not concerned about touching the coins surface, is to flip the coin and listen to the sound it makes (standard coin flip). Any coin with high copper content will ring like a bell when flipped; any coin with zinc planchet will simply thud. This is how I quickly tested 1982 cents, and works like a charm.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duuuude, congrats!!! A copper 1983 is one of my bucketlisters, I weigh every one I see but doubt I'll ever find such a rarity. I don't like slabs personally but something like that should definitely be sent in for grading and authentication. Amazing find and thanks for sharing, it's very encouraging to know those things are still out there!

OP
OP
J

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's out for authentication now. Can't wait to see what PCGS tells me 🤞🤞🤞🤞

I regret not looking for the 1982 copper D variety. I must have handled over 4 million copper cents. Definitely wonder if i missed one in there.

Louie D

Nov 16, 2018
The Motor City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does PCGS charge for authentication? Is it straight rate or based on perceived item value?

OP
OP
J

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not the best person to answer this as it is my inaugural submission. And I had a lot of questions that i'm sort of hoping I did right.

The membership was like a couple hundred for the level i chose $250 (so i maxed free vouchers)
Then you just pay for the value / grading type - $70
Pay for shipping insurance - $140 round trip

But I did submit 8 other coins, which resulted in $320 savings

Combined shipping was a way to save

For 9 coins and a membership I think I am paying ~ $500

OP
OP
J

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Posting a quick video update.

This details things before shipping to PCGS. Fun things like, how this penny was found, the plan to send it to PCGS now and 2ish years ago, and all the luck surrounding its survival after being found.

Spoiler don't store potentially valuable coins in a cardboard box in a location where water could reach it...

This may be super boring stuff, but it's been a really fun and exciting journey thus far. Figured share it here for anyone interested to listen.

~JobIII

OP
OP
J

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick update

PCGS just billed and emailed me the grade is ready. Not sure if that indicates the coin was authenticated as a mint error, or just a really expensive 1983 zinc penny or other.
Going to let this one be a surprise when it arrives and I unbox the coin.

~JobIII

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quick update

PCGS just billed and emailed me the grade is ready. Not sure if that indicates the coin was authenticated as a mint error, or just a really expensive 1983 zinc penny or other.
Going to let this one be a surprise when it arrives and I unbox the coin.

~JobIII
Best of luck
Be sure to post up the results.

OP
OP
J

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The coin just arrived back from PCGS. Opened it without checking the website which felt like a spoiler.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread