I think I did something truly unheard of!!!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well guys I never seen this have you? I went to Mississippi to meet up with my boy bonepicker and of course all I got was nickels, but this blew my mind and I have a witness. Lol
I know I’m a magnet for nickels and I not gonna bore you with pictures of them all. I ended up with 2 War, 4 buffs, 1 V (1911), a tax token and a hem weight.

But wait there’s more!!!

I HIT A NICKEL QUADFECTA IN 1 PLUG!! Think about this how does this happen in one spill? And the weird this about it was the clad Jefferson was last. Miracle plug is all I got to say. C9B7C312-5611-4AAC-8255-B102BA268977.jpg F80E5BE8-2105-4C55-B709-AE746381FD60.jpeg 0C97F1B2-1077-425C-A5B2-F40A4D78A8CE.jpeg 0CC05AF7-ED3F-4BB2-AE87-EC13E17F770E.jpeg CA3E3BD1-7F94-4A3F-9A49-7228C3EB5D83.jpeg

Upvote 49

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice extra pics! South of the mason-dixon I've only poked around for bottles in nola (no ashes either), and figger that the warmer climate down there probably meant much less ashes and coal clinkers to dump (as opposed to my experience in Illinois) so it could well be a good dump or garbage pit. I dunno if you like bottles but I can't recommend the hobby of bottle-digging highly enough and generally prefer it to detecting. Definitely worth another look in my opinion.

prospector0980

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2006
Hawthorne, NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab soverign, goldbug
Primary Interest:
Other
NICE, I found my first with my new EX 800 yesterday. Still trying to learn how this thing works. My first new machine in 20 years.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice extra pics! South of the mason-dixon I've only poked around for bottles in nola (no ashes either), and figger that the warmer climate down there probably meant much less ashes and coal clinkers to dump (as opposed to my experience in Illinois) so it could well be a good dump or garbage pit. I dunno if you like bottles but I can't recommend the hobby of bottle-digging highly enough and generally prefer it to detecting. Definitely worth another look in my opinion.

I love it enough that I started watching these Alabama young boys going at it 8ft down and just blowing me away!! I mean I considered myself a true digger because I did ALOT of plugs. But no THEY are the true diggers bottle diggers are beasts. My friend bonepicker who I went detecting with actually left (invited me) to go with another group of guy bottle hunting. After hit my nickel quad a just being there a whole 5 mins I WASN’T GOING ANYWHERE!! Lol So I stayed and that is actually my first truly embossed bottle. I collected small one when I can across them because they where small but this one is different and it has me hearing voices of “embossed bottles need saving”. I have a feeling this bottle addiction is going to get severe. There she is front and center of those poor plain boring small bottles lol 56367774674__34990BA1-7603-41B3-9DA0-60FD64A0E5AD.JPG

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
I love it enough that I started watching these Alabama young boys going at it 8ft down and just blowing me away!! I mean I considered myself a true digger because I did ALOT of plugs. But no THEY are the true diggers bottle diggers are beasts. My friend bonepicker who I went detecting with actually left (invited me) to go with another group of guy bottle hunting. After hit my nickel quad a just being there a whole 5 mins I WASN’T GOING ANYWHERE!! Lol So I stayed and that is actually my first truly embossed bottle. I collected small one when I can across them because they where small but this one is different and it has me hearing voices of “embossed bottles need saving”. I have a feeling this bottle addiction is going to get severe. There she is front and center of those poor plain boring small bottles lol View attachment 1651386

i like those marbles on top of the old bottles

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NICE, I found my first with my new EX 800 yesterday. Still trying to learn how this thing works. My first new machine in 20 years.

Congratulations I can say 12-13 and If it sometimes bounces in the 11 and 14 sometimes with showing 12 and 13 most of the time dig it. I’ve had War nickels hit at solid 14th be prepared excepted learn to love it digging pulltabs it’s good exercise.

I love that it’s the fact that it’s your newest machine and 20 years that is totally amazing. Tell me what your baby was before you decided was time to get with the modern changes and go multi frequency. I have much respect for you you made the leap and you did it....just keep swinging. You’re a veteran you know how it works the more hours you get on it the more you’ll learn that language. Good luck and keep in touch with me let me know how it’s going [emoji1317]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i like those marbles on top of the old bottles

Yeah that’s the way I do them go boy I don’t know Brother I am getting the niche of these in embossed bottles. My boy he is learning from an old veteran bottle hunter that took him under his wing, and I told him learn all he can so he can teach me and I’ll be his grasshopper. I think this is gonna be another big one another big addiction it’ll be like speedballing LOL I’m ready for it.

I just bought a bottle last night off eBay the addiction is already starting I’m starting to itch my arms like a fiend.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah it's an addiction alright... Awesome and euphoric enough to break me of a bad one. I've personally dug a hole 5' wide and 12' deep on my own (really pushing the limits) but when there are goodies waiting for ya down there giving you energy with each new one that appears it isn't as hard as it seems. Embossed old blown bottles are wonderful to find, research and admire. Buying them isn't 1/100th as fun, unless you're only paying 1/100th of the easy retail value, but it sounds like you'll experience what I mean pretty soon.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh yeah it's an addiction alright... Awesome and euphoric enough to break me of a bad one. I've personally dug a hole 5' wide and 12' deep on my own (really pushing the limits) but when there are goodies waiting for ya down there giving you energy with each new one that appears it isn't as hard as it seems. Embossed old blown bottles are wonderful to find, research and admire. Buying them isn't 1/100th as fun, unless you're only paying 1/100th of the easy retail value, but it sounds like you'll experience what I mean pretty soon.

I’m working on it and I’m hoping to learn from bone picker that’s learning. Being green as I am I just wonder how in the heck do you know where to start. Like who knows where the privy might of been? I’ll learn I have too. To tell you the truth I think it’s too late there’s no turning back. Just from that one little small hit of a embossed medicine bottle. Smh :)

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I’m still scratching my head. Some people have all the luck. Congrats on the excellent coin saves.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool quad! :icon_thumleft: My only nit on this thread is that there are no "clad" nickels, regardless of year. They are a 75% copper and 25% nickel alloy (except for the war nickels, which are an alloy of silver, copper, and manganese, with a trace of gold also). No clad cents either for that matter. Zinc cents are copper plated.

Yeah I guess I just love saying clad. I think the word just sounds cool [emoji41]

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone asked me what was the date of the Jefferson nickel and I didn’t know I just said clad. It’s a 1942 which explains more about the timeframe with the War and Buffalo and I guess someone just happened to spill in the same spot as that 1911 V nickel was by coincidence.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that’s the way I do them go boy I don’t know Brother I am getting the niche of these in embossed bottles. My boy he is learning from an old veteran bottle hunter that took him under his wing, and I told him learn all he can so he can teach me and I’ll be his grasshopper. I think this is gonna be another big one another big addiction it’ll be like speedballing LOL I’m ready for it.

I just bought a bottle last night off eBay the addiction is already starting I’m starting to itch my arms like a fiend.

Hi Truth. Any bottle collector or bottle digger will never hold antique bottle by its neck as you did in your pic .This the first rule in handling antique bottles.If you would like have a bottle ided you need to show a clear pic of the neck top and the bottom . This the way its done. Hope this helps Tp

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Truth. Any bottle collector or bottle digger will never hold antique bottle by its neck as you did in your pic .This the first rule in handling antique bottles.If you would like have a bottle ided you need to show a clear pic of the neck top and the bottom . This the way its done. Hope this helps Tp

Makes sense....that’s a first. I appreciate the help. Good job.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool quad! :icon_thumleft: My only nit on this thread is that there are no "clad" nickels, regardless of year. They are a 75% copper and 25% nickel alloy (except for the war nickels, which are an alloy of silver, copper, and manganese, with a trace of gold also). No clad cents either for that matter. Zinc cents are copper plated.

I'm not doubting you , but it does seem if Nickles being 75% copper they would ring higher than they do . Especially with their size being larger than the 'screaming ' Non , Silver Dimes ,coated Zinc & alloy 'Brass / Copper cents.???
Just a thought or brain Toot.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's Cool .
With your former experience I believe you will learn the 800 in no time.
&
Welcome back to the site.
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations I can say 12-13 and If it sometimes bounces in the 11 and 14 sometimes with showing 12 and 13 most of the time dig it. I’ve had War nickels hit at solid 14th be prepared excepted learn to love it digging pulltabs it’s good exercise.

I love that it’s the fact that it’s your newest machine and 20 years that is totally amazing. Tell me what your baby was before you decided was time to get with the modern changes and go multi frequency. I have much respect for you you made the leap and you did it....just keep swinging. You’re a veteran you know how it works the more hours you get on it the more you’ll learn that language. Good luck and keep in touch with me let me know how it’s going [emoji1317]

You know as i'm reading down , I just came to an obvious conclusion , or 2 ; 1 just how rare Gold Rings are (to dig) , & I see a Gold wave coming your way while digging all those Nickles & Pull Tabs , you might as well dig the 'foil' signals as well , those blunt , Ketchup & gum wrappers & can slaw need cleaning out as well.

It's amazes me the amount of Pull Tabs "Beaver tails " that are still in the ground.
I'm gonna Sue Al-cola & the Can makers for my aching knees & back. LOL

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Easy now !
Yr making my OCD kick in , My bottle collection mirrors yours ' a few embalmed or balsed" ones a few older Purex , Clorox , small types & pieces of older ones , heck I even have a 1970's Un-opened but empty Butwiper Can's.
My spelling sux today , To younger folk even Pony Bud's & Zima bottles can be interesting finds.
Very cool display u got there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread