Seadog

Jun 16, 2012
Lombard, Il
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All!
I am a new member to the site. I live in Northern Illinois. I was on a construction site in McHenry County walking along a road adjacent to a farm field when I spotted a rock that looked like it had a brown circle on the side and picked it up. I had seen something like this before so I took it home. From what I can determine is the rock is what is sometimes called a "nutting stone". I have found arrow heads before but this is the first one of these I've found. Any info or help would be appreciated. I'll post some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1327.JPG
    IMG_1327.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_1328.JPG
    IMG_1328.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,867
  • IMG_1329.JPG
    IMG_1329.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_1337.JPG
    IMG_1337.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_1330.JPG
    IMG_1330.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 382
Upvote 0

IllinoisDug

Mar 12, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other
Even though people on this forum hate the term "nutting stone"... YES it is a nutting stone or paint cup or whatever the real indian use was but it is the real deal and sweet! Nice find!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
S

Seadog

Jun 16, 2012
Lombard, Il
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I have seen these before identified as various things with various uses. What ever the origin they are interesting. If it was larger it would make a great ash tray for my cigars!

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nutting stones can be very similar in appearance to omars. Omars are naturally formed stones that have hemispherical bubbles in them.

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah i would say a omar, someone pictured a bunch on here somewhere

IllinoisDug

Mar 12, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other
While I agree that all omarolluks were not artifacts I do feel that many were. Especially the ones found in areas near other artifacts. The one I have has grinding and sharpening marks all around the stone where it was used as a tool in addition to the cup being used. It seems too hard a line to say that all omars were not artifacts.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That does look like a man made hole, but doesn't resemble the nut stones I've found in Ohio rock shelters.
They are common in a shelter, usually sandstone, and covered with small cups.
An archeologist explained to me that the depression helped hold the nut while grinding, but when it got too deep they started another hole.

BJS in Iowa

Jun 21, 2011
Iowa
I don't see any grinding wear marks in the hole. I've found several of these as well and they had me going for a while. I took one to a show and they also called it a leaverite. (Leaverite where you found it.) I think omar.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is "I'd like to see the size of those nuts.........................:laughing9:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still I would have picked it up and took it home too. I do not see any wear marks. Sometimes you might have missed with the hammer and I see no marks from that. I don't know if nuts even grew in the area, but personally I would think the wife might like a much bigger stone, perhaps in the bedrock with several indentions, because one little dip in a five inch rock just really don't get it for big time food production. To determine what a nutting stone looks like, maybe y'all could get a bunch of walnuts or pecans, gouge out a little indention in a rock, put the nut in it and hammer away and see what the resulting wear looks like. The only firsthand info I have on nut processing by natives is my grandpa told me 'we cracked walnuts with our teeth.' One of those grandpa statements that make you go 'hmmmm'. There are stones out there used for that purpose, but they might be easy to confuse with other rocks.

capsmith

Jan 10, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that granite? If it is I would call it a artifact.It looks like a river rock that has been tumbled by water or could have been worked by man,just my 2 cent.I could be wrong.

Ron Kelley

Jul 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An omarolluk is a very special item. People who study glacial movement are very interested in them because they gave an exact line of movement. An omarolluk is also volcanic evidence. What can be confusing is that Native Americans sometimes found omars and picked them up to use them. I found an omar and use it in my friction fire making. I use it as a palm protector or socket or thunderhead.
Ron
Thunderhead.jpg

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron ... every time I see a post like this I think exactly what you did: palm protectors for fire-making with a bow. With a stone like that you'd be able to get great downward pressure and stability.

-Ammo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions