I think I got a coin ring.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So ..... Roland58 and I went out to a spot we having been aching to hit for the last week....rain kept us out till today. All I can say is that this spot has a very long and varied history to it. There is quite a lot to hit so we basically wandered around looking for hot spots.

Not much to show for our first time out there....but I did bust a ring..... and due to the ridges and a indention on the inside.... as well as shallow tap marks on the outside.... both Roland and I are thinking coin ring.

Nuff about all that... PICS!!

Attachments

• coinringon.jpg
    coinringon.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 785
  • coinring.jpg
    coinring.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 778
Upvote 0
M

mikusek

It has that look about it. I used to make them when I was a lot younger, silver quarter, a tea spoon, and a lot of tapping...... and patience, then work out the center. Still have one somewhere, and another I started and never finished. Maybe I will find a couple others when I go back to the farm this summer.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup , likely made from a half dollar - Can you see any lettering on the inside edges at all ?
Argentium. (I'm wearing one now just like it - 1964 Kennedy half)

OP
OP
Lakemonster

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I could make something out. So I might better date the thing.

There is a "ridge" one one side of the inside... opposite of that there is a depression and a some sort of warped shape. It really looks like they got "off of it" when they were tapping making a thin spot....then just took the off set out with a file. Thats the best way I can describe it.

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might be one and a nice one......I made several while in the Navy 25yrs..... :notworthy:

deputydawg16

Greenie
Jan 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks handmade but I am not sure about the coin ring I have made a few and you are striking the edge of the coin causing it to flare out making the obverse and reverse turn to the inside and you should see part of them on each side on the inside of the ring.

Marinehunter

Jan 31, 2012
New York/Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Pro-pointer, Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure I have only seen a few but interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread