I think i need to start

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I I am truly amazed by the silver you guys are pulling out of these rolls. I may have to try some !! How often do you find silver in the rolls from the bank. At least The ones that the bank gets from Brinks or whoever brings them. I bet the coins that customers bring in are alot better but do you still find stuff in the noncustomer rolls?

This actually looks like a really good hobby for when my kids are home all summer long. I can buy rolls of coins and have them go through them with me. They can learn how to count money and I'm sure they will be entertained for about 15 minutes. But it will keep me happy while they're fighting with each other all summer! As I am home with them. Thanks!!

Upvote 0

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great hobby. Depending on age and demeanor of kids, they might get discouraged though - if they aren't consistently finding keepers.

For silver, the most consistent are dimes and nickels.
You will almost always find a couple of dimes per $1000 searched and dimes are easy to edge search.
Nickels are nearly as consistent - 1 per $400 searched. However, nickels take more work because you have to look at either date or mint mark.

Halves are not as consistent. But, when you hit, the payoff is better. It is a bit harder to find a reliable source.

Remember to never dump/return to the same branch that you source coins from. Regardless of what they say, it will wear out your welcome and possibly cause trouble for other hunters.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Depending on the age of your kids you might try picking up a few of the collection books so they can work on making up a whole set. I have them for all the different coins and that way when I tell the Tellers that I am a coin collecter making up sets, besides looking for errors and proofs, it is the truth. That way I am not one of those cude CRHers out there just looking for silver which I try to never mention. I like finding the entire set CRHing instead of buying any coins even when I only need one or two last coins like my dime book. Not to mention my Mercury dime and Buffalo nickel books which are taking a while to fill. Any time that you spend with the kids doing something good sure helps later when they get older. GL and HH

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL your mileage may vary. There's been a couple good scores recently but people aren't posting their skunks. The good boxes are few and far between.

Most kids will get tired of silver hunting because there's just not much. You'd be better off with cents or nickels and filling a book if it's for them, most people average 2 or less silver dimes per box and many have had dozens of halves boxes before something showed up.

Just don't sh** where you eat and it should be OK!

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing it for about 3 months now. I've only had luck once wit halves, but found 200 coins. Dimes...I usually get one or two per box ($250 a box) and nickels are about the same. I live in VA and there seems to be a lot of people doing it because every time I get loose rolls (CWR) they are marked up and already checked; almost without exception. So I mostly order boxes from a local bank (the smaller the better in my opinion). Just my 2 cents...Brad

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I went to my bank today. They have always had half dollars. Today they had none. Or the teller didn't feel like getting them. I'm going with choice B. He said they don't get them anymore. So I'll go back on Monday. The other tellers son is on my sons football team. I didn't know that until today though... I'll talk to her at practice this week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread