kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You most certainly can! :thumbsup: The bar will grade somewhere between 14k and 18k and, if you ever went to sell it, you might only get price for 14k gold, which would devalue the 18k that went into it. Not saying this would happen - only that it's possible. A reputable buyer would pay you what it's worth.

...How are you wanting to melt the gold? Microwave? Oxy/acet torch? smelting furnace? Also, are you speaking of scrap jewelry? I have to ask that as you posted in the gold prospecting section. Melting raw gold will not remove impurities or separate any metals. You would simply be melting various masses into one, impurities and all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was planning on torching 18k gold scrap ( dental ) into 1oz bar. I bought torch, tongs, chemical and bar mold. I have other scrap but since you said it might get looked at as the lesser of the two I would mix the two. I just needed so solid advice. Never did it before, but pretty excited to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
post some pictures of you doing it. I got in a rush for some cash years back and just sold it to the company. Yep they got me BUT I got what I needed quick! I wont do that anymore!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
post some pictures of you doing it. I got in a rush for some cash years back and just sold it to the company. Yep they got me BUT I got what I needed quick! I wont do that anymore!

I sure will russau

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread