I think this is worth posting? GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!! Question Added

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II
G'day everybody. I've been waiting to find something worth posting so I didn't bore you with my crap finds.
So far while I have been detecting I've found some interesting stuff, like a set of 'binoculars' off a set of play equipment that weigh like 7Kg pr something ridiculous like that!!! Found plenty of toy cars (today I found a toy spitfire!!!). I have been mainly searching sand around play equipment, where I have found so many nails and screws and rusted pieces of metal it scares me. In the last 1.5 months I'm up to about $38 worth of change as I unfortunately only get out a few hours a week.

Sorry to bore you there but now to the exciting part. I only had about an hour today before I had to go to a birthday, so we went to a local park to try the sand pit (I live in the 'Garden City' so there are litterally hundreds of parks) I hadn't tried this one before. Well it turned out to be a RIPPER!!! Seeing as there was only a limited time available I just checked over it quickly, without much of a plan. Turns out I found $9.55 in change-I would have be happy with that. Also found an unmarked ring of somekind it's only small, no markings, which my girlfriend thinks could be a toe ring-I would have been happy with that (my only other jewelry finds up to then were a rotted, encrusted bracelet at a beach and a set of broken earrings).

Well I was just about finished when I got a signal (I can't even remember what it sounded like). My girlfriend dug the target which is usual (she likes to come along and it makes it a group activity) and at the bottom I saw it-GOLD!!! I thought I knew what it was but I didn't want to be tricked so I picked it up and it was like winning the lotto. Turned out to be a 22ct solid gold ring. I am absolutely over the moon!!! We think (at-least hoping) it weighs about 15grams. It's like a mens wedding band but is too small for male fingers so I believe it to be for a lady who prefers bulky jewelry. I should be able to weigh it tomorrow and I'll pass on the result.

I was so hyped about the find that I got to the party late and could only stay for an hour. When I got home I was so excited we went out again to a different park, but by then it was dark and we only got a 5c coin and the toy spitfire (there was also more rubbish then the first park). But I was still happy from the ring earlier.

Sorry 'bout the lengthy post, I'm just so excited!!! (just like Big Kev was for all the Aussies out there).

Have fun and happy hunting,

Jesse

Attachments

• 24-9-06change.jpg
    24-9-06change.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 953
  • ring1.jpg
    ring1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 948
  • Ring2.jpg
    Ring2.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 944
Upvote 0
Re: I think this is worth posting? GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ummm....well.....Yep I think its worth posting. LoL

Absolutely great find congratulations,

Postalrevnant

Re: I think this is worth posting? GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all so much for your replys.

pgill-Big Kev was a fella that sold stuff on tele here in Australia he was always wearing bright shirts and said "I'm excited" about everything!!!

Just as a question, being a fairly heavy ring do you think it will be worth more than its gold value? I'm still so excited about finding it. Can't wait to go out again tomorrow (am now in a totally different city).

My mate saw my detector today and asked if I had found anything good yet. When I showed him that ring he nearly fell over. Now he wants a detector and to go out this Saturday!!!

OH yeah buscadero my fingers will be staying ring free for a while yet!!! lol.

Thanks again,
Jesse

Wow!!! 22K :o :o :o :o :o Great find. I am still looking for mine. :)

Hi Salvager,

This may be a dumb question, but do you know anything about that 20 ?? coin in the center of your picture....the one with the platapyus (sp?) on it? Reason I ask is that I have one just like it but don't know anything about it.

Thanks,

akdigger

You have good rason to be excited, gorgeous ring...WTG!!!!!! hopefully many more to come...:):)

Beautiful ring and a 22K at that, kind of a rare find at 22K, congrats! HH, Mike

Thank you all for your posts.

akdigger said:
This may be a dumb question, but do you know anything about that 20 ?? coin in the center of your picture....the one with the platapyus (sp?) on it? Reason I ask is that I have one just like it but don't know anything about it.

No such thing as a dumb question mate. The coin in question is an Australian 20c piece. They have been minted since 1966 with the platypus as the usual reverse however there have been about 10ish 'special' issues with commemorative reverses produced. They are a cupro-nickel coin with Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse. There are several die varieties of some years and as such is probably the most collectable circulated Australian decimal coin.

Hope that helps. Just give me a yell if there is anything else you would like to know.

DJ_Quinn said:
That's a great ring, and 22k! Excellent find. I hope your girlfriend enjoys wearing it. (My wife has confiscated the 2 gold rings that I've found.)

Luckily my girlfriend wears silver or this would have shared that fate for sure!!!.

I went and talked to a jeweler today and she told me that it was a 22ct ring that weighed 8.7g (seems we were a bit optimistic in the weight calculation). She says its worth about $700 (which is co-incidentally about what I paid for my detector). Still can't believe my luck, such an awesome find and I've only owned a detector for 1 and a half months!!!

Thanks again,
Jesse

Salvager said:
No such thing as a dumb question mate. The coin in question is an Australian 20c piece. They have been minted since 1966 with the platypus as the usual reverse however there have been about 10ish 'special' issues with commemorative reverses produced. They are a cupro-nickel coin with Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse. There are several die varieties of some years and as such is probably the most collectable circulated Australian decimal coin.

Hope that helps. Just give me a yell if there is anything else you would like to know.

Thanks again,
Jesse

Thanks Jesse. That coin is topping the favorites list in my collection. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back