I thought I had a SHERRIF looking at me and it was an AUTO THEFT

oklahomadigger

Greenie
Jul 7, 2011
It Is in really great shape was bent real bad when I recoverded it and I did Straighten it up and the wording is is in great shape .

This is what it says

American Anti Auto Theft Assn(this is in a circle on the badge)
On the Center it says1925-26 Registerd automobile

It is a little bit bigger than a snuff can and pretty heavy for its size,I was asked if it is a toy and i am sure it is not a toy,just with what it says.

It is made of Copper,And the pin on the back is gone but the 2 holes are there,im not sure what you would do with this ?Any Ideas as to how to clean it would be great as I would like it to shine again or should I leave it as it is?

#1 What is and what was it for?lol

It was about 6 inches deep

Attachments

• IMAG0914.jpg
    IMAG0914.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 939
  • IMAG0913.jpg
    IMAG0913.jpg
    858.6 KB · Views: 935
  • IMAG0912.jpg
    IMAG0912.jpg
    770.6 KB · Views: 931
  • IMAG0917.jpg
    IMAG0917.jpg
    618.3 KB · Views: 931
Upvote 0
Cool find. My guess is that this badge was attached securely to the automobile! A way of letting a potential thief know that the car's owner belonged to a group that would relentlessly pursue him. A way of deterring theft in those long-ago days?

I don't know anything about cleaning copper. Congrats on your badge! Andi

Nice Find...Congrats! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

No need to try to make it shine. Just clean it up best you can with water and very soft baby toothbrush. You might want to try letting it soak in hot peroxide also.

My real bad pennies I use vinegar ...BUT you must be careful and not overdo it. A nice patina indicating age is actually desirable.

HH Joe

Hey folks thanks for your replies.REALMAN that is it except for the dates being diffrent,I have looked for the last few days with no resolve.I knew if anyone has seen 1 it would be someone from here. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

I just googled it. You may not have gotten the same results if you used the word - theft. It's actually - thief. Anyway, HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back