I thought Id skip the middle man

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I'd skip the middle man

I haven't ever done any coin roll hunting before but I've been thinking about it for a while. Then it occurred to me that my brother is a bank manager. I put the word out to him and now i will be getting my silver right from the source. Today he called me and said someone had brought in an entire roll of silver halves ( i think most if not all are 40% silver Kennedy's) I asked him to buy them for me and I would reimburse him. He is bringing them by my house later. I realize this method will eliminate the thrill of finding the coins myself but you have to admit, it seems pretty efficient doesn't it? I will update this post later with the inventory of what I found.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I thought I'd skip the middle man

I just searched the rolls. here are the results.

1965--2
1966--4
1967--11
1968--10
1969--11
1971--2 (not silver)

Not bad. 38 out of 40 silver. ;D

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Some of these coins have some rim discoloration like you see from older silver coins left in coin books. Oh well, they're still silver and they're mine. Does anyone know of a way to clean silver without damaging it? Look at the picture and you'll see what I mean.

Attachments

• IMG_0916.JPG
    IMG_0916.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 346

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Evolution said:
Does anyone know of a way to clean silver without damaging it?
Those are just common 40% coins they do not need cleaning to sell. But if they were more valuable they should not be cleaned to sell.

I have cleaned and polished a few coins but just for my own fun. A fully polished standing liberty half sure looks nice but it is stll only worth about $5

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cyberdan said:
Evolution said:
Does anyone know of a way to clean silver without damaging it?
Those are just common 40% coins they do not need cleaning to sell. But if they were more valuable they should not be cleaned to sell.

I have cleaned and polished a few coins but just for my own fun. A fully polished standing liberty half sure looks nice but it is stll only worth about $5
Thanks. I'm not going to sell them. I just figured if there was a way to clean them up a little i would. I collect coins for my own amusement not for profit. I know they're not worth much but at least they are worth more than 50 cents a piece.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE

You can get them super shiny with Mothers Mag cleaner - it's at all the auto parts stores. Doesn't seem to hurt them - it works like a super fast silver cleaner.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coinlover said:
pretty neat that you got those! 40%ers are worth around $2 each, so you could clean them without hurting the value. http://www.coinflation.com/ is the place to check silver prices btw.
Thanks for the response. You can also just click on "Metals" at the top of the home page on this site. ;D Has todays gold and silver market values.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions