I told them and told them

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But they don't listen. My mother-in-law the hoarder needed money. So $400 in quarters went to the bank at face value. I think these were machine wrapped and I think she has had them since the 80's when they had a laundromat. I told them dammit. What a waste. They went to a bank in Salina KS and the local armored car company is Guarda.

I hope there is someone around here who can score!!

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was this short notice to you?, or did you not want to hunt these before? Something is missing here.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
It makes more sense to hoard even just clad coins than fiat currency but it seems strange to hoard coins for so long like that only for their fv and not have any interest in whether or not the intrinsic value of some of the coins might be worth much more than fv. What a waste is right. But its that kind of behavior that keeps this hobby interesting and lucrative for us. Maybe you could try your luck by getting some quarter boxes soon yourself. Might be worth it if you think she may have cashed in some loaded rolls. But I dont remember for sure how many silver quarters were actually still circulating in the '80's so they could have just been mostly or all clad anyway. :dontknow:

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm assuming that you have reason to believe that these quarters were silver - otherwise all they are worth is face value .

OP
OP
Rob in KS

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm assuming that you have reason to believe that these quarters were silver - otherwise all they are worth is face value .

I'm just pis er disappointed that they didn't have me look through them. The mother-in-law is 85 so I can understand her not understanding. The sister-in-law that handles her affairs has been told. I've told my wife several times that I would sell them for her if there was any silver. For all I know, they could have been rolls of state quarters. The MIL seemed to think that they would be valuable in the future. I know that she has several more coffee cans of quarters. The MIL had a laundromat in the 80's. I'd at least like to look through them.

I knew they would do this. I kept telling them that I could get more than face for them if they were silver.
Today they also found a large box of tupperware. They want to sell it at a garage sale. I know I could get much more on Ebay. Maybe they will listen to me. Maybe.

I just get frustrated when I'm not listened to. You'd think I would be used to it after being married for 35 years LOL

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BU rolls 1983s are worth money....

Top Member Reactions