NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I Usually Don't Complain About The Post Office

After hiking these Priority rates you guys will love this. Some of you know I sell cakes, candy, coffee, and snacks. I have numerous regular customers. I have a guy in Sugar Land TX who buys tastykakes from me. I shipped him some pies last week in a Regional A box which still costs me $9.00 with the new rates. I have the orange stickers that say Fragile Handle With Care. I put them on most of my items for years, even though I know boxes get thrown around etc.
The mail carrier showed up with the box and told my buyer you owe $10.35 for Special Handling???? So when he sent me the message I responded I hope you didn't pay it? He wanted his pies so bad he paid her.
I checked with my PO and found that there is a Special Handling fee of $10.35 that is done when you ship the package at the PO. There sticker is Green and she told me people do mail animals, eggs and other fragile items. So they have to be handled the entire trip with care and that is what you pay for. She takes my mail everyday and told me no way are these packages "Special Handling". So beware

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good "heads up", thanks.

I got a situation, PO delivered pckg to wrong address. Been on phone with super, they delivered it to the same number, but 3 streets over? Said they will try to get pckg and deliver to proper address. In meantime, my pckg shows "delivered", so it's going to be a fight if they can't retrieve it and deliver it properly.
She also advised complaints or claims are only done by computer nowadays. Is there no address to send the post master general a complaint or claim letter? registered return receipt? Does anyone know?

How can you trust anyone handles anything properly, when they can just mark a job as "done", wash there hands of it, and pass the buck?

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a good "heads up", thanks.

I got a situation, PO delivered pckg to wrong address. Been on phone with super, they delivered it to the same number, but 3 streets over? Said they will try to get pckg and deliver to proper address. In meantime, my pckg shows "delivered", so it's going to be a fight if they can't retrieve it and deliver it properly.
She also advised complaints or claims are only done by computer nowadays. Is there no address to send the post master general a complaint or claim letter? registered return receipt? Does anyone know?

How can you trust anyone handles anything properly, when they can just mark a job as "done", wash there hands of it, and pass the buck?

I'm dealing with this situation exactly. The GPS scan from the postal carrier shows she was standing in front of the house. And yet, the buyer didn't get the package.

I Googled, usps lost package claim, or something like this. A page from usps came up, how to file a claim. It took me to a link with a form you can download from usps. I printed it, and took it to the po. They said they don't accept it, but I showed him online where it says they do. The manager called in his supervisor. She ended up having to take the form. The advantage was, it allowed me to attach extra information. Even though it shows delivered, my buyer never got it, so I printed out all our emails back and forth. The form is PS Form 1000. P.m. if you can't find it; I'll pull it up on my history.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update, my customer finally got her package, The PO employee told me the street it was on, so I emailed that info to the customer. The family where it got delivered was on vacation, is the reason they didn't see the note the postman left. She went over there, or either they brought it to her.
These postal employees make it up as they go along, too! And most of them don't even know their own policies. You can write to the Postmaster general and here is their info:

Postmaster General 475 L'Enfant Plaza S.W. Washington DC. 20260-0010 The phone number there is: 800-275-8777

I have been told, if/when you send a return receipt documented letter/complaint to the postmaster general, it has to be addressed and replied to. It's because you have copies and proof, and must be, they don't want to appear as laying down on the job.
Paypal will also reimburse both parties in the case of stolen mail, but, the buyer needs to complete some paperwork for them to put it through. That's supose to be part of the Paypal protection, I've never had to test it, yet. Hope that helps and good luck, too.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one package sit at the same PO for 28 days in California before it finally got put on a truck.

Another time I returned 2 hydraulic cylinders for a tractor and had the weight of the box (12 lbs) on my receipt but when it was delivered the box was empty and I lost over $300 like a fart in the wind. :BangHead:

If you want to screw something up, involve the gov't.

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Don't lump the carriers in with mgmt. Not the same species. L'Enfant Plaza is the roost for buzzards and
other fowl.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there no address to send the post master general a complaint or claim letter? registered return receipt? Does anyone know?

I could not even get my counties postmaster number.
My local postman rolled a college textbook to get it into the mail box and broke the spine. I called my city postmaster and what do you think were the first words out of her mouth? I am so sorry! WRONG ! ! ! nope she said "did you have it insured? then we argued and I wanted the county postmaster number and she refused.

I trash that city post office reputation whenever I can.

Now my business post office a few miles away I have nothing but complements for them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread