I want a good digger for less than $30, any such animal? (UPDATE!)

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tabdog,
If you'd like to share war stories it was summer in the late 1980's. It was breaking 100 degrees everyday. You could hang a wet towel up in the air it was so thick with humidity. We had four birfidi holly trees to plant. Each one had a seven foot rootball. Three guys that were working for us quit before we even got them unloaded. We had to hire a full size crane with the huge outriggers to come set them off the OVERSIZE LOAD truck that brought them from somewhere up in the North Carolina mountains. That left me and the owner of the company. Nobody in their right mind signs on for day labor in 100 plus degree weather to plant giant holly trees, so it was on us. You either get them in the ground or you lose them (back then they cost $2700 each), we had it to do. I started digging that day and dug from 9 am until 9 pm that night finishing the first hole. The owner of the company was pretty tough so he finished most of his. I helped finish his the next morning, and then started on my second. The ground had been over compacted due to two factors. They did not know that beds were being added to the parking lot, and they knew there'd be tractor trailer trucks in and out all day, so it had to be solid. This was also where the construction company had put leftover 4' x 7' sheets of plywood every so often just to get rid of them. We finished up the holes 7 feet deep and 8 across the next evening, the crane man was there the next day before the sun came up to set them in.
Yep, I can handle a shovel...
PS: I might not tinkle as long as some people, but I tinkle farther and with much greater accuracy

HH,
Ramapirate

tabdog

Aug 16, 2008
Bryant Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Vaquero, Silver Sabre uMax and 2 Compadres
Good story Ramapirate,

Don't know if I can top that one. But I do have an old surveyor's story.

Less stressful, but I thought was interesting, and very satisfying to me.

I was searching for a section corner in the original plat of down town

Little Rock, Arkansas. I was in the middle of a very busy intersection.

There were some modern markings. I needed some earlier info because

property values were in the millions. I had to be right on.

I dug asphalt, then concrete, then asphalt and then concrete again. That

got me to compacted SB-2. I got through that and it was brick and then

compacted red clay gravel.

I kept getting a signal with my Schonstedt magnetic locator.

Three or four feet deep I found an old adz. That must have been the first

perpetuation of the original corner. That kept the corner from being

considered obliterated, although it was considered lost.

If it is, or if it isn't, it is accepted as that section corner by the State Surveyor's

Office.

I was proud to submitt that corner with the SU Department of Interior.

It is no longer considered lost.

That's metal detecting surveyor's style.

Just a man a detector and a pick and shovel.

Happy Hunting,

Tabdog

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tabdog,
You are relentless! That is wicked awesome! You just didn't give up, and that's what it takes in
metal detecting, too.

Thanks for sharing,
Ramapirate

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Home depot has a small garden spade(looks like a shovel to me) its made by vigoro. The blade is 9x51/2, handle socket is welded, it has a short handle with a d type grip. I cut the bottom from a flat into a shallow vee and ground the edges(sides and bottom) till sharp for roots. Had to cut it with a grinder the steel is very hard. Cost was about twenty bucks. Have used it a few times and love it, goes through roots like a hachet. Camera is in for repair so no pic, sorry.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
a piece of friendly advice. dont skimp on your digging tool. buy the best digger you can find ( in my case it was a Lesche). it was more expensive than the home depot cheapies but it will last 100 times longer. i went through 3 cheapos before i learned this lesson. a cheap digger will break on you when you are 50 miles back in the woods and have a fantastic signal to dig! dont buy crap! :wink:

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if you cats showing up late to the party missed it or not, but Kellyco is sending me a Gator Razor's Edge. I still enjoy the comments though (I may add some more diggers to the arsenal), I was just letting you know the problem may be solved!

Thanks and HH,
Ramapirate

tabdog

Aug 16, 2008
Bryant Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Vaquero, Silver Sabre uMax and 2 Compadres
Hay Ramapirate,

Have heard good things about that Gator Digger.

Let us know how it works.

Tabdog

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gout attack has finally subsided and I got out a little yesterday. I went to church and went to this little chinese joint my son loves (my wife had to work). I went light on the chinese, you never know what exactly is going to trigger the gout attack off again. Anywho, I went later yesterday afternoon to Home Depot and looked at the two diggers. Whether it's worth a hoot or not, I had to have me one of those Malco Duct Cutters. They were like $12.47+tax and looked "wicked awesome" (nope ahm not from Bah-ston, neva even pahked in Hahvad yahd. I just feel like the tehm fits). They look way more like a scuba knife or something. I stood on it and tried to pop the blade off (I'm 260 and change), and it wouldn't budge. I think the blade must go wide up into the handle. It looks like it would dig well. I'm keeping it as a back up, I bout don't want to get it dirty, it looks to cool. I'll keep you posted on the Gator Tabdog, it'll probably arrive today. I also picked up fresh AAA's for the Ace 250, so I'm ready to go!

Thanks heaps, especially to Kellyco!

HH,
Ramapirate

PMike

Jul 8, 2008
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300 Whites Surf Pro PI
The sheath does come with the one by Malco, at least the ones I've seen in our Home Depot. By the way I have one of the Gator Diggers and they are hard to beat. I do think the duct knife would work "easier" in hard soil for at least some of the shallower targets.

Mike

Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd
lol. love the bawstin accent.
Ramapirate said:
The gout attack has finally subsided and I got out a little yesterday. I went to church and went to this little chinese joint my son loves (my wife had to work). I went light on the chinese, you never know what exactly is going to trigger the gout attack off again. Anywho, I went later yesterday afternoon to Home Depot and looked at the two diggers. Whether it's worth a hoot or not, I had to have me one of those Malco Duct Cutters. They were like $12.47+tax and looked "wicked awesome" (nope ahm not from Bah-ston, neva even pahked in Hahvad yahd. I just feel like the tehm fits). They look way more like a scuba knife or something. I stood on it and tried to pop the blade off (I'm 260 and change), and it wouldn't budge. I think the blade must go wide up into the handle. It looks like it would dig well. I'm keeping it as a back up, I bout don't want to get it dirty, it looks to cool. I'll keep you posted on the Gator Tabdog, it'll probably arrive today. I also picked up fresh AAA's for the Ace 250, so I'm ready to go!

Thanks heaps, especially to Kellyco!

HH,
Ramapirate

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Gator today! I'm doing the happy dance!!!
The Malco I got at Home Depot had a really nice sheath with it.
I'll keep you posted on the Gator.

HH,
Ramapirate

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been digging like crazy with the new Gator that Kellyco hooked me up with! She a beauty!! Thanks again to the good folks at Kellyco!!!

HH,
Ramapirate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread