I Want A WHEATYYYY :(

SilverLust91

Jul 24, 2013
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey fellow T-Netters! As some of you may know I am quite new to the hobby still! I have this penny obsession when it rings up a zinc-dime target as I'm thinking "WHEATTYYYYY" haha. I have been fairly close to some 90% silver quarters but nada yet... I want that or a super Wheatyyyy to get my appetite really stirring! I'll keep digging guys!

Anyone else as a beginner feel the wheaty phase of really wanting to find one?!!!

Upvote 0

awhatley

May 31, 2012
marion, louisiana
Detector(s) used
Lone Star Bounty Hunter, son uses a JR Bounty Hunter, 2 modified centech pointers, fisher f2, fisher pinpointer, harbor freight detector, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will send u sum. I just bought a old farm place and thats all i find.

awhatley

May 31, 2012
marion, louisiana
Detector(s) used
Lone Star Bounty Hunter, son uses a JR Bounty Hunter, 2 modified centech pointers, fisher f2, fisher pinpointer, harbor freight detector, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see you have an f2 when u do find one it will ring up a solid 68.

OP
OP
S

SilverLust91

Jul 24, 2013
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see you have an f2 when u do find one it will ring up a solid 68.

That's a great knowledgeable fact to know! I'm glad to see the manuals "target range ID table" to be as accurate as it advertises! So I'm guessing 98% they ring up a Dime?.. I've been searching :)

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alot depends on your location. If you're in a new park, chances of finding one are slim, but not impossible. Try to hunt an older park if possible, some MD'ers in the past would skip over penny hits in search of silvers.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also look for the less obvious areas in the parks, because chances are the obvious spots have been pounded before... I look for older trashy areas that yeild pulltabs and old bottle tops. When you find this older coins are usually in the area. As you become more experienced you will learn how to use your detector to pick through trash, discriminate out the trash, and find the coins amongst this crap. Often these spots are in areas that are not obvious. The park may have been arranged differently in the past.

lededoop5125

Jul 11, 2013
North-East Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites- Coinmaster Pro, Garrett- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you do your research you could find sites in the middle of the woods! I have found wheat in thick brush where there once was houses

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here we get two in change sometimes. When we do some shopping on Fridays we will get at least one. I use to have a jiffy jar filled until I lost my job. But keep looking and have fun.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey fellow T-Netters! As some of you may know I am quite new to the hobby still! I have this penny obsession when it rings up a zinc-dime target as I'm thinking "WHEATTYYYYY" haha. I have been fairly close to some 90% silver quarters but nada yet... I want that or a super Wheatyyyy to get my appetite really stirring! I'll keep digging guys!

Anyone else as a beginner feel the wheaty phase of really wanting to find one?!!!

Been there and done that. But finally I found a 1913 Barber dime, 2 Rosie dimes and 2 Wheaties in the same day. It took me maybe 2 solid months of detecting before I found anything old and I haven't found anything except clad coins since then. That was 2 months ago. Just keep getting out there and detecting. I know I am.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its 90 percent location. Start knockin on doors in old neighborhoods and asking for permission and things will change. Most people new to detecting hit the same spots that have been hit by everyone else when the got in the hobby for the past thirty or so years. Its kind of like the old saying to catch big fish you have to fish where there the big fish are.

stoney

Oct 12, 2012
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep on diggin'

I agree that it must be at least 90% location. Yesterday I went to an old farmhouse that has recently been evacuated. I had been detecting in a local park when a police officer told me about this place. Strangely enough it is about 50 yards off of a major road but hidden by trees and elevation.

As I started to swing the coil I noticed there is NO trash! Wow, what a great feeling. At first I thought my machine was not working. Two minutes later I hit a solid 68 on the F2 and dug a nice wheaty about 4 inches down. About 12 inches to one side I found another one.

Another few minutes of swinging and I got a very strong quarter signal. Dug my very first silver quarter down 6 inches; a very nice '59 D. Checked the hole before covering and found a friend! Not so nice '41 nmm, but silver just the same.

I was only there about 45 minutes total and came out with 4 wheaties, several coppers, a couple of nickels, and only 2 zincs. The only trash I found was a large piece of cast iron, about 4X4 inches and half inch thick about 9 inches down. Had to dig it; what a nice signal.

In the 2 years I have detected semi-seriously I have found some rings and lots of clad, but this location brought the silver coins I so much want to find.

Keep on looking for spots and keep on digging!

Stoney

OP
OP
S

SilverLust91

Jul 24, 2013
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that it must be at least 90% location. Yesterday I went to an old farmhouse that has recently been evacuated. I had been detecting in a local park when a police officer told me about this place. Strangely enough it is about 50 yards off of a major road but hidden by trees and elevation.

As I started to swing the coil I noticed there is NO trash! Wow, what a great feeling. At first I thought my machine was not working. Two minutes later I hit a solid 68 on the F2 and dug a nice wheaty about 4 inches down. About 12 inches to one side I found another one.

Another few minutes of swinging and I got a very strong quarter signal. Dug my very first silver quarter down 6 inches; a very nice '59 D. Checked the hole before covering and found a friend! Not so nice '41 nmm, but silver just the same.

I was only there about 45 minutes total and came out with 4 wheaties, several coppers, a couple of nickels, and only 2 zincs. The only trash I found was a large piece of cast iron, about 4X4 inches and half inch thick about 9 inches down. Had to dig it; what a nice signal.

In the 2 years I have detected semi-seriously I have found some rings and lots of clad, but this location brought the silver coins I so much want to find.

Keep on looking for spots and keep on digging!

Stoney

Stoney! Thanks for sharing I think this kind of experience is what we all enjoy so much in the hobby! I found my first silver yesterday a 1956 Rosie Dime that I'm quite proud of. It's all about the hunt.

:)

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember finding my first wheatie, a '55. It was in the backyard of a victorian home I had knocked on and got permission. Right next to it I found a neat tin spoon of significant age. I was so excited. Keep hunting and you'll find one. It's all location as everyone keeps stating.

OP
OP
S

SilverLust91

Jul 24, 2013
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did find a wheattyyyyy yesterday but not really... at least not "the hunt" way of which I desire!!! I found one in a jar of change I was going through that had accumulated some time ago... I need to diggggg ittttt upppppp frommmm Earrtthhhhh :laughing7:

Serge88

Greenie
Aug 14, 2013
Middletown, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Whites Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found my first wheatie of the year today, a 1926, and nearby I found my very first silver coin ever, a 1917 Mercury dime! It's all about hunting the old places that no one has been to....Too bad that I'm just figuring that out.....

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found my first wheatie of the year today, a 1926, and nearby I found my very first silver coin ever, a 1917 Mercury dime! It's all about hunting the old places that no one has been to....Too bad that I'm just figuring that out.....

What kind of old site were you able to hunt? Field, park, residence, school? Dont give up on that spot. You'll get more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread