I want to cry

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

Today I had some things to do int he morning, and afterwards, I decided to do some running around hitting banks on the long route home. After an hour and 10 banks or so, my wife and I had found zero silver. There came the magic time. I pulled into a shopping center that had 2 banks next door. I split my cash with my wife, and we each went into one of them.

My bank was a BB&T, and hers was a Gateway Bank. I asked if there were any half dollars avaliable, and the teller runnin the drive thorugh said, "How many you want?" When I said as many as you ahve, she replied, "We have $800 worth." I was floored. I told her I would be right back, and went out to fetch the wife. She was skipping, hardly touching the ground, and exclaimed, "I have silver!!!" I told her great, but lets go in here and get more halves, you tell me about your score later. Turns out there were 21 halves in teller trays, and of those, 14 were 40% silver. She also said the teller had some large dollar coins that were her grandfathers, and she would be calling us to see if we wanted to buy them. Not going to hold my breath on this one.

So we went in, and bought $350 worth, promising to return for the rest. She searched most of them while I drove to a dump bank, and it turns out, zero silver in them rolls. We make it back to the bank, and she pulls out the remaining halves. Turns out they had a lot more than she had specified. I purchased $580 this second time, and she said there were 17 rolls left. I asked her if they were all part of one deposit, and she gave me some heartbreaking news. "One of our members searches throught them. He gets them at another bank, and brings them here, and they just sit in our vault. I am so glad you are taking them for us!!"

Ouch. Well, wouldn't you know it, no silver. Did find a 2001 and 2002, which I suppose I will save in case I do an album. So I went to a different bank and dumped them. It only too $65 to fill the bag of halves. So I call an attendant, and I help her pull the bag out of the machine, and lay it down. And immediatly I spot a 90% silver rim. My wife glances at another spot, and sees 2 more silver rims. I ask, "can I please swap out for those coins. The attendant says, "Oh, I'm sorry. Once we seal the bag, we can't open it again." I wanted to cry. I still wanted to cry. 1 general glance showed 3 silvers, and who knows how many more were there. Sigh. Well, maybe I will get lucky and find them later in the boxes I get from Loomis(who picks up and delivers for this bank).

Thanks for reading,
Anthony

Upvote 0

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
eastbaybounty said:
well did you ask her if you could buy the bag? Go back and ask before they ship it out!

if i saw silver i would have made sure to break enough balls to get that bag. You talk to the right people and im sure you could have gotten it.

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
I dont have the funds to buy a bag. If I did, I would have seriously asked. Can hardly afford a box right now.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I have a couple banks I go to that are real nice about ordering coins, taking dump coins, etc., and they refuse to let anyone buy the bag when it is full. They insist that it has to be sent to the fed, which we all know really means their coin courier service.

I have watched tellers change the bags on the machines and it is never possible for me to see what is in the bag because they are in the cloth type bags and they take them in the back and dump them into the heavy plastic bags. If I saw silver in there and I could not have it I would cry too.

I have tried and begged to buy their machine bag since no CRHers dump there according to the tellers. (I only buy there, never dump although they have offered to let me dump there).

What is strange is that other branches of the same bank allow me to buy their bags. I guess it is up to the vault teller or manager. I gave up trying to buy the bags when they say no since they are great about ordering me boxes, etc.

Jim

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once in a while when they won't let me buy the bag (usually when its not full), I have asked to look through the bag (with the teller's help of course) and just exchange out the halves I want for the ones in my pocket. Doesn't always work, but it has occasionally.

Though I won't try it unless the bank is quiet (no lines) as I wouldn't want to hold everyone up while I search through the half dollar bag.

Gotten a few handfuls of silver this way. :)

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
I was dumping coins today at one of my dump bank locations, when $22 in, the bag fills. Having the experience I did yesterday, I asked if I could swap out for any silver coins I saw, and to my suprise, the puleld the bag uot unsealed, and let me have a look! Unfortunatly, I did not see any silver rims :(. But having a teller that cool was great, may have to take him a gift of some sort next time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread