Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Vaquero
White's Coin Getter
Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all, I have a Garrett Ace 250 and have been happy with it but am looking to upgrade. I usually hit the city parks and beaches and am going to be doing farmland within the next month this includes woods. I am looking for something more consistent and without the annoying bells. I have heard a lot of great things about Minelab detectors but have never used one. Can someone give me an idea on what detectors I should look at when I go to buy one?

Thanks
Hodgie

Upvote 0

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm happy with my At pro.. I also upgraded from an ace 250 and when I did I went with the At pro and have no complaints.. Just my opinion.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, how much money do you have to spend on a new detector?

OP
OP
H

Hodgie

Tenderfoot
Jul 24, 2013
Madison, WI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Vaquero
White's Coin Getter
Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$500 maybe $600

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would look at the top end tesoro, Vaquero and Tejon.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i gotta agree the places u had mentioned and the detecting u would be doing with the budget u have i would recomend a atpro as well ull get the most for ur money and get the ability to jump in either fresh or salt water they have great customer service quick responce good in iron its a very well rounded machine

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I have a Garrett Ace 250 and have been happy with it but am looking to upgrade. I usually hit the city parks and beaches and am going to be doing farmland within the next month this includes woods. I am looking for something more consistent and without the annoying bells. I have heard a lot of great things about Minelab detectors but have never used one. Can someone give me an idea on what detectors I should look at when I go to buy one?

Thanks
Hodgie
In the Minelab line, you'd probably want to find a good used machine. I doubt you can get an E-trac for that price but you might be able to find an Explorer SE. Both of those are excellent for the hunting you're planing.

Vladio

Mar 5, 2013
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, AT Pro, ProPointer &
Bounty Hunter (kids)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a 250 in Feb., got hooked on the hobby then upgraded to the AT Pro in April. I really like the machine and have no complaints. The fact that its waterproof to 10' is great for my "OCD" as I can hose it down to clean it. Lol. I've used it in water this summer and totally loved it. Found a 1920 coin in the first 5 minutes the first time. Water-hunting turned out to be a lot of fun on the hot, summer day I did it. Overall it's a nice machine for the amount of money I spent which was around $600.

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
look for a used minelab quattro. it's a turn on and go machine,good target info,great at the beach and deep.i've seen them at less than $400`with your budget you could probably pick up sunray probe also`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Loving my Tesoro Outlaw.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too did the ACE 250 swap for the AT PRO....But how long have you had your machine?..I always read people on here buying another machine just a few months after they got thier first machine..In my Opinion..I think it takes a good year at least to understand your machine....Im sure many people will disagree...But i had my Ace for 3 years before i started with the AT PRo...and EVERY year my finds were better..even hunting the same spots...then my first year of the AT PRO was alot slimmer than the previous finds.

I do like my AT PRO, and will have it for life....But if i ever do upgrade, it will be to an E-Trac...and that will probally be the last machine i need

OP
OP
H

Hodgie

Tenderfoot
Jul 24, 2013
Madison, WI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Vaquero
White's Coin Getter
Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had my Ace 250 for quite a while now. If I had the chance to buy a used Minelab E-Trac for a thousand would that be a great deal?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, for the seller! You should be able to get a good used one for around $800 these days. Now if it comes with several coils and other accessories.....maybe.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the Atpro did not do so well in ocean water....

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 4

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call Bart at BigBoysHobbies.net

He will tell you the pros and cons of what you get for your money. He also has the best deals because you will more than likely get a Lesch and more throw in with your package.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the Atpro did not do so well in ocean water....

It doesn't compared to other machines made for salt water. Black/mineralized wet sand can give it a bit of trouble. You can adjust it to work but you end up losing some depth doing so.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want a machine capable of better depth where I am hunting, but it almost kills me to think of changing machines.I have been hunting for over 20 years and have started hunting some areas along the river and backwater of the TN River. The stuff there just seems to be unusually deep. 90% or better of most of the stuff can be found by any good machine but this is an odd situation. The F75or T2 are incredible machines from all I hear and can honestly say hunting by one and checking signals it smokes my G2 on depth. Get a good machine and take your time. It takes a long time to really get proficient with a machine. My G2 is incredible in trash and about as simple as they get I just hate to drop the hammer and have to go through the learning curve. You might find a used T2 or F75 in your price range. Best of luck.

OP
OP
H

Hodgie

Tenderfoot
Jul 24, 2013
Madison, WI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Vaquero
White's Coin Getter
Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I have decided to get a tesoro Vaquero. I have heard so many good things about this detector but not a lot of bad things. Thanks Again!

Hodgie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread